Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Model Railroading > Vallejo diesel locomotive weathering paint suggestions

Date: 08/03/22 09:32
Vallejo diesel locomotive weathering paint suggestions
Author: osp1729

I have not used Vallejo paint, but want to give it a try to weather a few diesel locomotives.  Micro-Mark has a Model Railroading weathering set, but it is out of stock.  What colors from the Vallejo Model Air line are you guys using to weather locomotives?

Shawn 

Date: 08/03/22 12:13
Re: Vallejo diesel locomotive weathering paint suggestions
Author: wheel_slip

I absolutely love the line of Vallejo Washes... Blacks, Greys and various shades of rust

Andy

Date: 08/03/22 12:41
Author: TomG

There was a youtube vid on weathering a Blackstone steam locomotive with Vallejo paints. Looked really nice and makes me want to give them a try also.

Date: 08/03/22 13:38
Author: Lighter

I started with the Vallejo Rust, Stain, and Streaking set of paints. Places that deal with military modelers and war gamers will have this set which is about $20.00, give or take. It contains Chocolate Brown, German C Black Brown,  Orange Brown, Light Rust, Dark Rust, Orange Rust, Wood, and Light Rust Wash.

Also, consider AK Interactive Tracks and Wheels set. It contains Satin Black, Rubber/Tires, Rusty TRacks, Dark Tracks, Dust, and Dry light mud.

Vallejo, AK Interactive, and Ammo by MIG are all Spanish paint companies that pretty much have similar lines and prices. Sets are very popular with European modelers and usually have a bit of a price break. Not all the colors I've listed are airbrush ready. But all need only a couple drops of plain water to do the job.

You might also consider Mission Models weathering colors. Mission sets aren't very useful so you do have to shop a la carte. Mission Models is Made in the USA and top-notch acrylic. Again, look to your military dealer.

All four of the brands I've mentioned make excellent acrylic paints.

All four of the brands I've mentioned are available on Amazon, but the prices aren't necessarily the best. If you have prime, then some might be an OK deal because of shipping costs. For example, Mission paint on Amazon is about a dollar more per bottle than on Mission's own site. But, on Amazon, the paint has free shipping.

Date: 08/03/22 15:46
Author: csx4793

Hobby lobby also carries these weathering sets

Date: 08/03/22 20:05
Author: dmaffei

Don't forget to Dulcoat first. This gives the Vallejo products something to bite into. A sort of primer for weathering. I'd also add panel line wash to your kit. Fun to work with and you can remove them with enamel thinner for great effects. They come in black, brown tones.
I would also research weathering with oils on YouTube. Weathering is one the most gratifying parts of this hobby. 
happy modeling 
A good pair of tutorials to start with 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4IXXF633nQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_S6XFcLJUI&t=304s

Date: 08/05/22 11:04
Author: icancmp193

That Panel Line Accent is good stuff! There is also a gray color, but I've found limited use for it.

TJY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds