Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Model Railroading > Blunami.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/04/22 16:53
Blunami.
Author: ChrisCampi

I'm not fully up to speed on this product, but I think it may have huge promise for simplifying DCC type features. If it can be made to function along side some of the new throttles like TCS and ProtoThrottle, it could be amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/22 19:42 by ChrisCampi.

Date: 08/04/22 17:50
Re: Blunami.
Author: TomG

Price set at $170 bucks at soundtraxx. Pushing ever closer to 200.

Date: 08/04/22 17:53
Author: BlackWidow

Go to the Soundtraxx website and watch the video describing this product.  It is a game changer.

Date: 08/05/22 05:06
Author: SPDRGWfan

So Blunami gives a hobbyist the ability to control an engine without having a DCC system.  But if you have quite a few engines, the extra cost per decoder could really add up enough to buy a DCC system and possibly much more. 

At $170 per Blunami, if you had a modest fleet of 10 engines to outfit with Blunami vs an ordinary Tsunami 2 sound decoder ($97 each).  That's an extra $73 per decoder x 10 - $730 to buy Blunami's to out fit ten engines vs. ordinary Tsu2 decoders.  You could buy a nice wireless DCC system with that extra cash if you just bought ordinary Tsu2 decoders.  If you have 20 engines, nearly $1500 cost difference and so on!  So Blunami may only be cost effective for someone with a fairly small stable of engines.  It's quite clever of Soundtraxx really to offer the product but, as some may say, options are good.

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 08/05/22 07:18

If you have 20 DCC equipped loco's, you already have a DCC system. I see these as what the future will look like. They will incorporate into an existing fleet just fine. The $170 is MSRP and hopefully will drop over time like your $97 figure. I don't think anyone would expect to replace their current fleet of decoders with these and wouldn't have to anyway. What Blunami brings is a tremendously easy and intuitive way to program and operate a DCC full featured sound equipped locomotive.

I have zero desire to operate trains with a touch screen, but if I could manage my fleet with my Ipad, program, import export settings from one loco to another, consist super easily AND control my trains with my favorite hand held throttle, I'm all in. Not to mention what might come along for stationary decoder control and dispatching with a similar interface. The dead rail guys are going to love these. ESU is going to have to respond. TSC is going to have to respond and they've already made an effort at easier programming with their WOW Sound decoders. Things will get interesting.

Date: 08/05/22 08:51
Author: SPDRGWfan

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have 20 DCC equipped loco's, you already
> have a DCC system. I see these as what the future
> will look like.

Understood and agree.  My post above was mainly thinking of the notion of Blunami being marketed at DC users , a portion of the market the product seems to be aimed at.

> I have zero desire to operate trains with a touch
> screen, but if I could manage my fleet with my
> Ipad, program, import export settings from one
> loco to another, consist super easily AND control
> my trains with my favorite hand held throttle, I'm
> all in.

I too have zero interest in operating trains with a touch screen, which is why I decided to invest in TCS UWT throttles  But as you mentioned, easier ways of managing engines and consisting are attractive features.  It's my dislike of the Digitrax consisting that has drivin me to TCS UWT throttles and why I am taking a hard look at the TCS command station in the future.  I have read that the Blunami app is only available on IOS devices, which limits the audiance for the present.  I don't own any IOS devices and don't have any plans to buy any.

Cheers,
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 08:59 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 08/05/22 09:01
Author: mcdeo

I understand the ease of use with software on phones/tablets. But agree with others, that having a throttle for this would be really nice. 

I am glad that companies continue to push technology with new options. I don't plan to use this, today, but certainly see the value of creating new options for running trains. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 08/05/22 11:25
Author: CITCO

BlackWidow Wrote:
> Go to the Soundtraxx website and watch the video
> describing this product.  It is a game changer.

A game changer?  Hardly.  You can use smart phones and tablets with several dcc systems very easily.  Same old Tsunami sounds with one new feature to the decoder.

Date: 08/05/22 12:56

And I thought I was negative. Dude, youhave issues.

Date: 08/05/22 13:00
Author: BlackWidow

Running DCC on a DC layout in full DCC mode?  That is a game changer.

Date: 08/05/22 13:22

TomG Wrote:
> And I thought I was negative. Dude, youhave
> issues.

Just stating facts, it has been done before.  I didn't know critiquing product means anyone has issues.  Considering this hobby is full of autistic, mentally handicapped and elderly people I would be careful who you say has issues becasue there are people that really do.  I just don't like this product.  It doesn't seem to add value and you seem to be bowing down to Soundtraxx for some reason and fawning over the product that isn't even released yet.

BlackWidow Wrote:
> Running DCC on a DC layout in full DCC mode? 
> That is a game changer.

This was done by Ring Engineering years ago, you have to install their decoder just as you do with Blunami.  A DC operator is not going to upgrade a few locomotives just to use Soundtraxx's regurgitated sounds from 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 13:25 by CITCO.

Date: 08/05/22 14:01
Author: tuxedorailfan

CITCO Wrote:
> BlackWidow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Go to the Soundtraxx website and watch the
> video
> > describing this product.  It is a game
> changer.
>
>
> A game changer?  Hardly.  You can use smart
> phones and tablets with several dcc systems very
> easily.  Same old Tsunami sounds with one new
> feature to the decoder.

I concur. I'd rather stick to the tried and true method with a throttle and DCC system, but that's just me...  With TSU equipped engines, they all sound the same. At least with ESU you can have 3 F7's sound like 3 completely different units instead of the sound of a flock of bees buzzing around. 

Sorry for bringing ESU into this... I prefer protoypical accuracy versus a bunch of noise being controlled wirelessly. But to each is their own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 14:04 by tuxedorailfan.

Date: 08/05/22 14:19

CITCO Wrote:
> TomG Wrote:
> -----
> > And I thought I was negative. Dude, youhave
> > issues.
>
> Just stating facts, it has been done before.  I
> didn't know critiquing product means anyone has
> issues.  Considering this hobby is full of
> autistic, mentally handicapped and elderly people
> I would be careful who you say has issues becasue
> there are people that really do.  I just don't
> like this product.  It doesn't seem to add value
> and you seem to be bowing down to Soundtraxx for
> some reason and fawning over the product that
> isn't even released yet.

Don't try to spin your issues on others. Your Other posts have been targeted and negative so this looks like a continuation. Personally I have little interest in this product. The last thing I need is a nerd with a cell phone trying to hack my trains. I also don't think its a game changer, more so another product aiming at the I cant do anything without my phone generation. But like Chris said, this might be a gateway for intro folks to get into the hobbie. And as much as I dont like companies trying to force phone operations into the hobby, I to am intrigued by the idea of running everything in standard DCC but being able to adjust CVs from a tablet.

Date: 08/05/22 14:48

With more thought on the subject I agree with the motherboard idea. Then those that just want tsunami can have it and thos that want blue thing can have it. This would also make it cross compatible in the future for those getting the pnp8s.

Date: 08/05/22 16:10

CITCO Wrote:
> BlackWidow Wrote:
> -----
> > Go to the Soundtraxx website and watch the
> video
> > describing this product.  It is a game
> changer.
>
>
> A game changer?  Hardly.  You can use smart
> phones and tablets with several dcc systems very
> easily.  Same old Tsunami sounds with one new
> feature to the decoder.

I hardly claim to completely understand this product at this point but it's pretty clear that what makes it a game changer isn't that you can wirelessly RUN your train but the GUI that allows you to effortlessly program your train AND wireless run your train. 

Date: 08/05/22 17:05
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I don't think this is going to be marketed to those of us that have layouts already running WiFi & DCC.

I think this is for the younger set that is used to doing everything on their phone, and gives them
easy access to the Tsunami product for the typical 4x8 pike. I don't see anything wrong with it,
but like some of y'all, it isn't for me either.  I already have a WiFi operating layout so this doesn't
do anything new for me.  I have the capability of using iPhone throttles and don't like them as they
are not comfortable in my hand, but then I don't use my iPhone all day either.

I commend this new product at Soundtrax if it brings new folks to the hobby.  Soundtrax has been
a leader in sound decoders, their Tsunami2 is a fine product as are their Blackstone models, and they
are made in America,   I hope this product works well for them.

Date: 08/05/22 18:06
Author: NiagaraMike

At first glance I thought this was an April Fool's joke but Alas-wrong month,

Date: 08/05/22 20:29
Author: Jardine

Thnk Bachmann has already done this, no?
https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=258_966

Last saw it used about 3 to 4 years ago?
Bachmann EZ App

Date: 08/06/22 12:01

TomG Wrote:
> CITCO Wrote:
> -----
> > TomG Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > And I thought I was negative. Dude, youhave
> > > issues.
> >
> > Just stating facts, it has been done before. 
> I
> > didn't know critiquing product means anyone has
> > issues.  Considering this hobby is full of
> > autistic, mentally handicapped and elderly
> people
> > I would be careful who you say has issues
> becasue
> > there are people that really do.  I just don't
> > like this product.  It doesn't seem to add
> value
> > and you seem to be bowing down to Soundtraxx
> for
> > some reason and fawning over the product that
> > isn't even released yet.
>
> Don't try to spin your issues on others. Your
> Other posts have been targeted and negative so
> this looks like a continuation. Personally I have
> little interest in this product. The last thing I
> need is a nerd with a cell phone trying to hack my
> trains. I also don't think its a game changer,
> more so another product aiming at the I cant do
> anything without my phone generation. But like
> Chris said, this might be a gateway for intro
> folks to get into the hobbie. And as much as I
> dont like companies trying to force phone
> operations into the hobby, I to am intrigued by
> the idea of running everything in standard DCC but
> being able to adjust CVs from a tablet.

Excuse me for being vigilant on where I spend my hard earned money.  It will not be on a 2008 sound emitting gimmick product, that I can tell you.  I have as much of a right to be critical as you have the right to be out of touch with technology. You want to talk about issues?  You're the one who resorted to personal attacks when I was commenting on a product not a person.  Maybe you need to look in the mirror if you're attempting to diagnose someone with issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/22 12:18 by CITCO.

Date: 08/06/22 19:02

Jardine Wrote:
> Thnk Bachmann has already done this, no?
> https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_pag
> e=index&cPath=258_966
>
> Last saw it used about 3 to 4 years ago?
> Bachmann EZ App

Not really no. It's the full featured decoder CV control that sets this apart. You have to look past just the throttle to see where this shines.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0898 seconds