Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Model Railroading > Scale Sound Systems

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/09/22 06:32
Scale Sound Systems
Author: jburek

Do these speakers really produce better volume, deeper sounds than other speakers do?

Date: 08/09/22 07:19
Re: Scale Sound Systems
Author: KM-ML4000

Yes

Date: 08/09/22 07:25
Author: ChrisCampi

Based on my experience, yes. You'll be hard pressed to find a better speaker set up. And they're often customized for a particular locomotive model which can allow for a neater, easier installation and optimized sound.  Service is very good also. You might find a speaker you like as well, but you'll be hard pressed to beat the whole package.

Give him a try, you might pay a little more, but you won't go wrong.

Date: 08/09/22 07:29
Author: mcdeo

I think so. You can watch many videos of people just replacing stock speakers with the Scale Sound Systems, using the same decoder within a unit. I think the key is, they enclose them to create a better seal around any of the air leaks that contribute to poor sounding speakers. And other than the installation process, they are relatively inexpensive, compared to swapping out a decoder of choice. 

I've done a few installs and they drop in very easy, since they have so many different model options to do just that, a 1 for 1 replacement. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 08/09/22 08:06
Author: tuxedorailfan

Absolutely. They're worth every dime. 

During my ESU conversertions a couple years back, a buddy of mine recommended them. Purchased a couple and my entire roster now get these with ESU as my standard install now. Great speakers.

Date: 08/09/22 08:11
Author: pmirick

Great speaker and excellant service. 

Date: 08/09/22 08:47
Author: KA7008

Doesn't leave much room for a keep alive but I'm sure filling extra space with a speaker baffle does wonders for the bass.

Date: 08/09/22 09:01
Author: osp1729

Great customer service.  I have emailed them about suggestions for installs and they quickly reply with answers.  As previous posters have commented, I too equip all my sound installs with Scale Sound Systems speakers.

Shawn

Date: 08/09/22 09:08
Author: TCnR

Definitly better than the stock speaker.

We tried comparing some custom installs a couple of weeks ago and there seems to be ways to improve the typical 'cell phone speaker' with enclosures or by using two speakers. Put two Sound Systems speakers into a locomotive and they sound really good, just astounding compared to stock. Also much easier to install by using the techniques recommended by the Owner.

Agree with the above comment, Loksound and two Scale Sound System speakers whenever I can make them fit.

Date: 08/09/22 09:59
Author: CITCO

Yes, these are the best when paired with ESU.  I tried on Soundtraxx but it just amplifies their terrible sound profile.  That's the decoder's fault, not the speakers fault. 

Date: 08/09/22 10:17
Author: bnsftall

100% worth it. You'll hear sounds on the low end that don't even register on some stock speakers.

dt

Date: 08/09/22 13:25
Author: wabash2800

So, when are we going to get better with diesel air horn sounds. They may have the right sound but it's just too weak. If you model in HO, get a distance from a real train where the train is HO size. Then listen to the air horn. There's quite a difference isn't there? From my experience, our models are very lame in that respect.

Victor B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/22 21:11 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/09/22 14:17
Author: PHall

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, when are we going to get better with diesel
> air horn sounds. They may have the right sound but
> it's just too weak. If you model in HO, get a
> distance from a real rain where the train is HO
> size. Then listen to the air horn. There's quite a
> difference isn't there? From my experience, our
> models are very lame in that respect.
>
> Victor B.

Models are "lame" because of the tiny speakers we have to use in our models. Kinda hard to change the laws of physics.

Date: 08/09/22 17:54

PHall Wrote:
> wabash2800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So, when are we going to get better with diesel
> > air horn sounds. They may have the right sound
> but
> > it's just too weak. If you model in HO, get a
> > distance from a real rain where the train is HO
> > size. Then listen to the air horn. There's quite
> a
> > difference isn't there? From my experience, our
> > models are very lame in that respect.
> >
> > Victor B.
>
> Models are "lame" because of the tiny speakers we
> have to use in our models. Kinda hard to change
> the laws of physics.

I think he's referring to sound quality and even reverb.  He has a point but it mostly applies to Soundtraxx.  TCS and ESU are doing quite a good job making better quality sounds as Soundtraxx, a one time leader messes with gimmicky features instead of quality sound.

Date: 08/09/22 18:48

One guy is doing his best to hijack threads to bash Soundtraxx. He's certainly entitled to his opinion but maybe he should start his own thread. 

As far as SSS speakers, it's my opinion that they sound great in ESU, TCS and my personal favorite, Soundtraxx TS2's. 

Each to their own. 

Date: 08/09/22 22:57
Author: M-420

Scale Sound Systems speakers are simply the best.

Brian E

Date: 08/10/22 05:44

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> One guy is doing his best to hijack threads to
> bash Soundtraxx. He's certainly entitled to his
> opinion but maybe he should start his own
> thread. 
>
> As far as SSS speakers, it's my opinion that they
> sound great in ESU, TCS and my personal favorite,
> Soundtraxx TS2's. 

>
> Each to their own. 

One guy (you) is doing his best to defend Soundtraxx with clear bias towards the product.   Although it's insane to me that you heavily favor recycled sounds from 2008, I don't conisder you hijacking the thread.  To each their own is true, even for people who have their head in the sand propping up a company that should have gotten it's act together long ago to keep up with ESU and TCS.  Soundtraxx was once a favorite of mine as well until they fell behind badly.  I just want the best for them and sometimes bashing and lack of sales is the best method to incite change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/22 05:45 by CITCO.

Date: 08/10/22 07:49

Many modelers I respect here prefer ESU. I completely respect that, and they have their own good reasons, but they aren't going out of their way to bash another product either.

Start your own "Why I hateTsunami" thread and tell us all why recordings of 50 plus year old locomotives from 2008 are so bad (if that's even true) and why it even matters. Go ahead, lay it all out there and protect the rest of us from wasting our hard earned money.

So whip out your PC and Lokprogrammer and lay it all out there in your own legit "Why I Hate Tsunami thread." Throw in a few facts, back them up. Add some background as why anyone should except your position of what sounds better or more correct above their own or anyone else's. Maybe even add your name so we know who to address. 

Looking forward to it. See you there.

Date: 08/10/22 08:06
Author: tuxedorailfan

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> Many modelers I respect here prefer ESU. I
> completely respect that, and they have their own
> good reasons, but they aren't going out of their
> way to bash another product either.
>
> Start your own "Why I hateTsunami" thread and tell
> us all why recordings of 50 plus year old
> locomotives from 2008 are so bad (if that's even
> true) and why it even matters. Go ahead, lay it
> all out there and protect the rest of us from
> wasting our hard earned money.
>
> So whip out your PC and Lokprogrammer and lay it
> all out there in your own legit "Why I Hate
> Tsunami thread." Throw in a few facts, back them
> up. Add some background as why anyone should
> except your position of what sounds better or more
> correct above their own or anyone else's. Maybe
> even add your name so we know who to address. 
>
> Looking forward to it. See you there.

Thread posted out of respect to the original OP of this thread. 

Date: 08/10/22 08:57
Author: BaylorMax

Rule #1

It's My Model Railroad!

Steve B

Posted from Android

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds