Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Model Railroading > Help! Modelflex Paint Dries Like Sandpaper

Date: 09/23/22 17:55
Help! Modelflex Paint Dries Like Sandpaper
Author: D0wnt1me

This was a beatutiful F&C X28A that had just been primered. I bought a bottle of Modelflex light tuscan oxide red to paint it with. Sutff dried like sandpaper. What the hell?

Dean 

Date: 09/23/22 18:01
Re: Help! Modelflex Paint Dries Like Sandpaper
Author: wabash2800

It dried too fast when it was sprayed?

Victor B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/22 18:34 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/23/22 19:39
Author: fritzrr

Help us figure it out: What airbrush (brand/model/tip) did you use? What air pressure?

I have sprayed many models with Modelflex and Polyscale. Pasche H with number 5 tip, 30 psi, tip 3-5" from model.

Fritz in MD

Date: 09/23/22 19:43

Used an Iwata HPCS. Shot around 25 psi. 

Can't say it matters much now. Paint has been stripped.

Dean 

Date: 09/23/22 21:43
Author: tehachapifan

As someone who converted to water-based paints after the loss of Floquil enamels, it took me a while to learn how to spray these paints and my first attempt was an utter disaster with orange-peeling. I found that, to avoid orange-peeled or rough finishes, I needed to get the airbrush a lot closer to the model than I was used to. A LOT closer! No more than 5 or 6 or so inches away (often closer) as was mentioned above. Otherwise, I believe the paint particles begin to dry before they reach the model and, voila, there's your rough finish. Best to practice on scrap shells, etc. to get the feel and nozzle settings down before Painting an actual model (that and thinning ratios). The first coats are the trickiest and it takes some getting used to how the paint lays down (I now used a primer on bare plastic first but it can be applied to bare plastic successfully). I spray Modelflex at around 25-27 PSI with a Paasche single-action airbrush. Here is an N scale SP SW1500 kitbash I just painted with Modelflex SP Grey. The Scarlet is from what I have left of a Pollyscale (water-based) bottle and the clearcoat was what I have left of a Model Master (water-based) bottle.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/22 23:02 by tehachapifan.

Date: 09/24/22 08:45
Author: globalethanol

I thin my modelflex with plain Windex usually a little under 2 : 1. Spray
it at 35 psi and put it on nice and wet with the airbrush close. Then 
dry it with a hairdryer right away. Do it in several coats until fully covered.
It dries flat. Then I spray Testor`s Modelmaster acrylic glosscoat the same
way but at around 18 psi. Use distilled water to slightly thin the glosscoat.
Dry with hairdryer again and it`s ready for decals. Then Modelmaster
acrylic flat for final coat. The ex CR hopper is Light Tuscan Oxide Red also.

twl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/22 08:47 by globalethanol.

Date: 09/25/22 06:41

Guys,

Thank you all for your input. After stripping the paint, I followed twl's suggestions and thinned the modelflex with windex and turned up the pressure. The final result was much more satisfactory. 

It has been a very hot past couple of day here in southern CA. With the airbrush set up in the warm garage, I'm sure some of the paint was drying the second it left the airbrush. 

I think the model turned out pretty good. I would give it a solid B grade. Still needs some finishing touches. 

Dean 

Date: 09/27/22 18:30
Author: OHRY

I'd say it looks good. Like the nice subtle amount of weathering on it. Nicely done.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/29/22 10:15
Author: SPED

I never use anything but Scalecoat I and Scalecoat II paint, it is a Naphtha base Enamel and settles down like glass.

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0698 seconds