Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Model Railroading > N Scale SP SW1500 Kitbash with Custom Drive and Sound

Date: 09/23/22 22:35
N Scale SP SW1500 Kitbash with Custom Drive and Sound
Author: tehachapifan

Working on another N scale SP SW1500 kitbash (my 6th) but this one is a departure from what I've used for a drive, which was a modified Con-Cor/Kato switcher drive. This one has a custom frame made from styrene and brass and uses a coreless motor from Bachmann. The trucks are from LL switchers and the Flexicoil sidefeames are from the MT SW1500. The shell components are made mostly from Atlas M15DC shell parts and the see-thru grills are made from Eduard Mesh. A Loksound 5 decoder is temporarily installed in the photo and there is a 9x16" speaker in the fuel tank (the fuel tank itself is the enclosure)...

Date: 09/24/22 10:10
Re: N Scale SP SW1500 Kitbash with Custom Drive and Sound
Author: ChrisCampi

That's pretty awesome. I've been wondering how well coreless motors work in modeling applications. 

Date: 09/25/22 12:25
Author: Jardine

That is some great work! Wow.

Date: 09/25/22 13:27
Author: PHall

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's pretty awesome. I've been wondering how
> well coreless motors work in modeling
> applications. 

Don't the Kato P42's use coreless motors?

Date: 09/25/22 20:28
Author: Betsy

Pretty impressive.  I have a hard enough time stuffing wires into an HO switcher shell!  Does the Atlas MP15AC come with SP lights and number boards, or are those aftermarket parts?

Elizabeth

Date: 09/26/22 06:52
Author: tehachapifan

Thanks for the comments, all!

Betsy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty impressive.  I have a hard enough time
> stuffing wires into an HO switcher shell!  Does
> the Atlas MP15AC come with SP lights and number
> boards, or are those aftermarket parts?
>
> Elizabeth

Thanks, Elizabeth! The gyralites and the red UDE lights are aftermarket. The gyralites are from Detail Assoc. and UDE lights are from Sunrise Ent. and Detail Assoc. (one of each on this model as that's what I had on hand). The offset headlights were made by cutting the headlight out of a cab light housing off the Atlas MP15DC. As for the numberboards, those were carefully cut off of an Atlas N GP40/40-2 cab and were filed and sanded to a more correct shape for an SW1500. The numberboards will be illuminated as they are on all of my previous SW1500's except for my very first one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/22 06:53 by tehachapifan.

Date: 09/26/22 16:44
Author: atsf121

Wow!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds