Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Model Railroading > Down On the "Modernized" L&NE

Date: 09/25/22 14:49
Down On the "Modernized" L&NE
Author: icancmp193

Have managed to complete a couple projects for the "modernized" Lehigh & New England RR. Modernized, that is, into the mid-70's and early 80's. Just like the original L&NE, my freelance road likes Alcos, although there will ultimately be a few EMD's on the roster.

#1 and #2 - L&NE 1601 is one of our "patch" units. It is an Atlas model which was painted with Tru-Color Dark Blue and has had a few details added. Almost ex-CNJ-like in the paint scheme, although CNJ units had the corner marker lights.

#3 thru #6 - Back in June, I acquired a Pacific Northwest Resins Alco T-6, which mounts (with a great deal of work) to a Proto 2000 Alco S-3 chassis. Having achieved that part of the job, I went on to decorate it in the "modernized" L&NE scheme. As a safety feature, grab rons and hand rails are painted orange. Old Alcos on the prototype had all black hand rails, but we don't want our crews falling off. Some of us may remember that the Lehigh Valley liked orange hand rails, and I do too. Most of the hand rails on the Life-Like shell fit right into the PNR body, saving a lot of work. Other added details include a Leslie horn, flasher light, firecracker antenna, bell, sunshades, arm rests and MU hoses. Gently weathered...I can't do filth!

The T-6 was quite a challenging project even for a 60+ year model railroader and I hope it never has to be taken apart! Next on the workbench is an Atlas Alco C-424. I plan to ultimately do our full freelance roster of 11 units.

TJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/22 14:56 by icancmp193.

Date: 09/25/22 14:54
Re: Down On the "Modernized" L&NE
Author: icancmp193

Trackplan, you ask? Frankly, the modernized L&NE may end up consisting of a number of dioramas. At the speed at which I move, and with limited space, it may never run  But we'll see......

TJY

Date: 09/25/22 15:47
Author: JUTower

Nice work. Love the L&NE!

Date: 09/26/22 00:14
Author: boejoe

The T-6 certainly looks like a "what if".  Well done.
jb

Date: 09/26/22 04:07
Author: NiagaraMike

Very nice unit and an interesting railway! Well done

Date: 09/26/22 07:30
Author: aehouse

I find fascinating proto-freelance modeling that extends historic eras, completes never-finished historical railroads, or creates new routes, subdivisions and branches of historic railroads. I love the thought processes that go into tinkering with historic reality in creative and realistic ways.

Good show!

Art House

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0628 seconds