Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Model Railroading > Tank Car Q: Topside numbers

Date: 09/27/22 10:42
Tank Car Q: Topside numbers
Author: NCA1022

Hi all,

Todfay's tank cars have their road number painted on the top of the car, to facilitate identification when the car is laying on its side in a derailment.  See the last photo in this thread below for an example.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,5548268

When did these topside numbers begin to be applied to tank cars?  Was this an FRA mandate?  Was there a requirement to add these numbers to already existing cars?

Thanks,

- Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/22 10:42 by NCA1022.

Date: 09/27/22 11:39
Re: Tank Car Q: Topside numbers
Author: PHall

I have always been told the topside numbers were to make it easier for the people loading and unloading the car to identify the car they were on so as to load/unload the right product in the right car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/22 13:57 by PHall.

Date: 09/27/22 15:00
Author: ghemr

I read somewhere (AAR or CFR book---can't remember) once before that top reporting marks were required on all tank cars carrying haz-mat materials. The reporting marks are to be placed on the B end and must be the same size font as on the sides. Although the various leasing companies now place them on all tank cars, I have noted some cars carrying such product as corn syrup or tallow that do not have top reporting marks.. Hence I'm led to believe it's meant to aid first responders more than the convenience of the shipper/customer.

Date: 09/27/22 21:34
Author: JasonCNW

I been told thru my hazmat training as a tank car loader it is not necesarry to have the number on top of car ( and it is there to help 1st responders in case of a derailment). However if the number is on top it has to be in good condition, not peeling or fades and match the same number on sides and ends, if it doesent then the FRA deems the car unfit to load.
JC

Posted from Android

Date: 09/28/22 07:49
Author: WAF

Late 80s or early 90s, IIRC

Helps in fly byes over the derailment scene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/22 07:50 by WAF.

Date: 09/28/22 18:14
Author: Steinzeit2

OK, I am going from memory here, but I thought numbers on the top of tank cars originated back in the late 50's-early 60's when UTLX built those geodesic domes -- sorta like a fully enclosed 360 tt plus roundhouse -- for car repair.  Since 'control' was located in the inside top center of the dome, car numbers were placed on the tops of the tank cars to facilitate reference from "on high".

Anybody else remember that ??

SZ

RD G put numbers on cab roofs of diesels for similar purposes, primarily for Erie Ave, I think.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds