Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Announces Log Train Power

Date: 09/30/22 14:10
Athearn Announces Log Train Power
Author: funnelfan

Of particular interest to HO scale modelers is Athearn just announced Genesis quality GP38-2 models of Weyerhaeuser's Chehalis Western RR. Unfortunately they are only doing 2 of the 4 road numbers currently. The models are expected in November of 2023, but pre-orders are due by Oct 28th, 2022. The Chehalis Western operated in Western Washington from 1980-1992 on former Milwaukee Road trackage. Athearn only making half the fleet of 4 locomotives is frustrating a lot of people.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/22 14:11 by funnelfan.

Date: 09/30/22 17:42
Re: Athearn Announces Log Train Power
Author: tracktime

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately they are only doing 2 of the 4 road
> numbers currently.
>..... Athearn only making half
> the fleet of 4 locomotives is frustrating a lot of
> people.

Well, I'm just happy they are making these at all.  We can always renumber to get there. I look forward to these landing at my local shop in the future.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 09/30/22 17:51
Author: NiagaraMike

Interesting choice 1

Date: 09/30/22 19:40
Author: toledopatch

If many of those so interested buy the first two numbers, then perhaps Athearn will do another run of the other two. Or, as noted, buy two pairs and renumber one of them.

Date: 09/30/22 23:44
Author: SantaFe9820

The entitlement is real. Be happy they're going to the trouble of representing such a niche operation

Date: 10/01/22 14:36
Author: randyr

Be grateful you are getting at least two. For a fairly small and unique operation. There are a couple short lines I wish they would do. I’m glad I was able to see this logger in operation a few years ago.

Randy in PHX

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/01/22 18:03
Author: TomG

With only 4 units I am surprised they only did 2, the Lyon share of the work is already done. Ted this has drawn my interest, why was the first unit 810 and the other three 817, 818 and 819?

Date: 10/02/22 03:10
Author: Lighter

A neat thing about these locomotives is that they are end-of-production GP38-2s with all the Q spotting features - fans, longer nose, and so forth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/22 03:12 by Lighter.

Date: 10/02/22 17:44

TomG Wrote:
> With only 4 units I am surprised they only did 2,
> the Lyon share of the work is already done. Ted
> this has drawn my interest, why was the first unit
> 810 and the other three 817, 818 and 819?

Actually I do not know the answer to that. But the Athearn artwork is wrong on the #810. The conductors side roadname decal on the long hood was more forward than the rest of them. But the engineers side was still in the same place.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/02/22 22:38
Author: RRBMail

Thanks a lot for the wrong decal info, I'll call Spring Creek and have my road number changed on my order!

Date: 10/03/22 10:27

I got a response from Athearn saying they were going correct the issue of the decal placement on the #810. Just keep in mind if you buy extras for renumbering, go with the #817 which will match lettering placement on the #818 and #819.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/03/22 20:41
Author: TCnR

TomG Wrote:
 why was the first unit
> 810 and the other three 817, 818 and 819?

My understanding is the four units would have been 07, 08, 09 and 10. But then the 1981 prefix and then keeping it as three digits created 810.

1981 being the purchase date the locomotives Weyerhaeuser bought that year. I don't have that info but I suspect it included the southeastern operations, or the Longview operation, or something like that.

That was a long lost nueron from the past btw. Here's a photo from Western Jucntion around 1982 or so :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/22 20:59 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds