Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Model Railroading > Bringing Back The SP In HO, Overland Mail With New PAs

Date: 10/05/22 09:07
Bringing Back The SP In HO, Overland Mail With New PAs
Author: FiveChime

I only saw this train only once in real life, running late WB at Soda Springs and with F units, but the Overland
Mail had always intrigued me as it did with my friend Randy Cape who authored a great book on all aspects
of the train released in 2006.
With the recent release by Rapido of very accurate SP Alco PA's, I decided to lug my muliti car mail train
to Crockett, California and run it on the CRMS layout where it ran without incident.
Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 10/05/22 09:12
Re: Bringing Back The SP In HO, Overland Mail With New PAs

Randy has done a great job of documented the greatly varied types of cars run over time in this train.
Over the years I have collected some examples of these cars as pictured.

Date: 10/05/22 09:17

Apparently the SP used the train to move passenger cars around  and therefore mine has a few extra rider coaches and RPOs.
Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 10/05/22 09:31
Author: 6432

Great photos and train Jim. Your train looks great on the layout. I really like photo # 2.
John B

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/05/22 09:47
Author: wingomann

Nice photo's of a good looking train Jim!  I like the third photo.

Joe Mann

Date: 10/05/22 10:02
Author: kurtarmbruster

Superb modeling, sir--I love mail trains, and this one's a doozy. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/05/22 11:01
Author: SPDRGWfan

Very cool  I grew up an SP fan in northern California but did start watching trains until the mid-1970's.

Date: 10/05/22 17:18
Author: SPB

Jim

You assembled a good looking consist for SP trains 21, 22.  The PAs look sharp too.  Such an appropriate layout to run you train on.  There was a fine presentation at the recent SPH&TS convention in Modesto about the mail trains.  So interesting.

Gerry

Date: 10/05/22 20:13
Author: ChrisCampi

Love the markers hung on the last car.

Date: 10/05/22 22:44
Author: railstiesballast

Now that is a fun train to show, thanks for sharing.
Those lightweight coach or "chair" cars would be a real treat for any regular riders on SP mail trains.
The few I rode, and many I saw, almost always had a heavyweight chair car, usually six axle, but anything could be used any day.  
For several summers I got to see "Sad Sam", the coast mail every afternoon near Glendale, CA, and rode it at least twice.
I took one ride on No. 21, the "Ghost" train in about 1965, it was at least as long as yours.
Mail trains are real worker bees of the passenger fleet, making money, carrying pass riders, stopping at many places, and interchanging with the whole nation.
A lot of that mail is still on the rails, but riding in trailers or containers on expedited freights.

Date: 10/06/22 13:17
Author: WAF

Saw PAs on 27 at Sparks in July, 1966

Date: 10/06/22 16:21
Author: BoilingMan

I've always admired the SP's Mail Trains. 
This Summer's on-board-nautical-build is a pair of Mail power sets:  A PA-PB-PB set typical of #21, The Overland Mail, and a PA-E7B-E9 set typical of #91, the Coast Mail.  They're coming along, should be finished in a few more weeks.  Probably not as polished as Jason's, I suppose, but a very interesting project.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds