Home Open Account Help 171 users online

Model Railroading > Kerfkore spline roadbed anyone?

Date: 11/13/22 09:05
Kerfkore spline roadbed anyone?
Author: dmaffei

Been way to quiet here on the modeling board. So thought I'd ask this question. Does anyone besides the SP in Oregon infamous modeler use this material? Cutting a 4X8 foot sheet of this stuff in 7/8 inch thick sections gives you a 8 foot flexible piece of spline. The benefits? Ease of use when laying it out on your risers. Just priced this in California at about 230 dollars a sheet. Link to more info below.

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/category/surfaces-panels-and-edgebanding/functional-panels/kerfkore-boards/flexboard-collection/kerfkore-panel-flexboard/1059155/sku-2743484

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/22 09:17 by dmaffei.

Date: 11/13/22 11:23
Re: Kerfkore spline roadbed anyone?
Author: TCnR

Date: 11/13/22 13:01
Author: ChrisCampi

I don't know, you get about 384 linear feet of road bed out of that $230 bucks so that's not bad. It's still particle board though. I'm not sure if it's overkill for a home layout or not. It also seems it might be trying to attach the scenery base to that narrow spine. Never done it so don't really know. I'm sure the glues used today are much better then the wilt when wet particale board of the past. Does using spline matter in a climate controlled building compared to plywood? If the stuff is bulletproof it might be the thing to use for a club or museum that will be around for decades. Yes I'm rambling.

Date: 11/13/22 14:02
Author: SPDRGWfan

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It also seems it might be trying to attach the scenery
> base to that narrow spine. Never done it so don't
> really know. I'm sure the glues used today are
> much better then the wilt when wet particale board
> of the past. 

You could use cardboard strips and hot glue to attach scenery.

Basically you put a bend in the cardboard and hot glue it.  Later cover it with plaster gauze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/22 14:03 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 11/14/22 09:04
Author: M-636

Ed and Rod are the only two I am aware of.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds