Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Model Railroading > BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer (Part 12) – ASD

Date: 11/22/22 00:53
BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer (Part 12) – ASD
Author: tmotor

This is Part 12 of a series on the BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer project.  (Parts 1 thru 11 were posted earlier.)

Those letters appear on the doors, to the right of the handle.  It was not clear what they meant.  I posted a question on TrainOrders, and ghemr was kind enough to post a response.  Thank You, ghemr!  :-D

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,5556701,5557086#msg-5557086

The ASD (Anti-Spin Device) will help prevent injury in the event the load has shifted and is leaning against the inside of the door.  The modifications are most likely in the gear train and are not readily seen.  Having the ASD lettering on the door is the only indication (as far as I can tell) that the door is ASD equipped.  It does not appear that the ASD arrests the rotation of the handle with a pin or stopper, as there is no “reset” button or release lever to allow the handle to continue to rotate to open the door.

I strongly suspect the gear train was modified to have the Handle drive a worm gear.  (Just like the worm gear in the gear tower of a model locomotive.  When the motor rotates the worm gear, the gear train transfers power to the wheels.)  This will allow the Handle to rotate, without unexpected rotation due to the pressure of a load leaning against the inside of the door.  (This would be similar to what happens when pushing the model locomotive.  The wheels try to rotate the worm gear, but to no avail.  The motor has no idea the wheels rotated.)

When Craig announced the BLMA 64’ Reefer, the product description has “ASD Door” in the title:
https://www.walthers.com/trinityrail-r-64-reefer-w-asd-door-thermo-king-reefer-unit-ready-to-run-cefx-992129-white-3df963
I was expecting an obvious piece of external safety equipment, but nothing looked “different” on the BLMA 64’ Reefer’s Plug Doors, other than the “ASD” printed on the door. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/22 09:22 by tmotor.

Date: 11/22/22 00:54
Re: BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer (Part 12) – ASD

A previous bit of safety equipment mandated by the FRA for Plug Doors is the safety bracket in the middle of the upper rail.  It is to help keep the door from falling on the operator.  The old sliding doors (non-plug doors) on rail cars were routinely opened with forklifts.  (The doors became rusty, bent, and could be tough to open manually by shoving the door.)  Even though it clearly states on the Plug Doors to NOT use a forklift to open them, old habits die hard.  There are numerous cases where the use of a forklift pulled the lower rollers off of the door rail.  In some cases the upper rollers would be forced to jump the upper rail, and the door would fall off/over.  A 3rd upper bracket was mandated by the FRA to help keep the door upright.  After it is installed, it is obvious which doors have them since it is external equipment.

Unlike that safety bracket, the ASD is NOT a piece of external equipment. 

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/22 00:57 by tmotor.

Date: 11/22/22 15:11
Author: ghemr

Although slightly off topic, note the door of the Cryo-Trans reefer (photo 5) appears to be welded (with a piece of scrap metal) to the side to keep it in place. At one time I thought the carmen merely tossed the door into the car and then sent it to the Home Shop for Repair----later on I realized this is not the case. Many times the carmen will secure the door by welding scrap angle iron (or whatever) to the floor and walls to keep the door from shifting within the boxcar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/22 15:47 by ghemr.

Date: 11/23/22 20:08

Season's Greetings, ghemr!
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although slightly off topic, note the door of the
> Cryo-Trans reefer (photo 5) appears to be welded
> (with a piece of scrap metal) to the side to keep
> it in place. At one time I thought the carmen
> merely tossed the door into the car and then sent
> it to the Home Shop for Repair----later on I
> realized this is not the case. Many times the
> carmen will secure the door by welding scrap angle
> iron (or whatever) to the floor and walls to keep
> the door from shifting within the boxcar.

That makes sense, since they certainly want the door to be secure on its bumpy ride back to the repair shop.

Take care and God bless!
Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0761 seconds