Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Model Railroading > Southern Transcon - The Day after the Turkey

Date: 11/26/22 14:18
Southern Transcon - The Day after the Turkey
Author: djh4d

Things have been moving forward and with the most recent running session over, I figured it was time for an update. Since the last update, we've completed the track, wiring, and signals for the first level. Work as started on the backdrop for all three levels and when that's done, we're going to start on the bench work for the third level and work our way down.

1. The double track ends at CP 127.1 and this is where the single track starts on the first level. In the distance, you can see a series of curves that leads to the start of Matfield Green siding.
2. Looking the other way. Just like the real thing, the tracks are on a fill. Hence, why the risers are so tall here.
3. A couple of curves were super-elevated on this stretch of railroad. This was achieved buy inserting a piece of styrene under the outer rail beneath the ties and we're very happy with the outcome. It's noticeable, but not over done. You can really notice it when double stacks and auto racks go through the curves.

More to come...

Date: 11/26/22 14:28
Re: Southern Transcon - The Day after the Turkey

4. The tracks at Matfield Green, KS are in place. You can see a couple of switches that are for the house track that's located in town. At this point, this wraps up the mainline for the first level.

5. Looking the other way, the temporary return loop got its sides placed, track installed, and wires attached. Someday, this will be replaced by a helix within a helix. This is where the first level rises to the second level while the third level enters and drops to the main level.

6. Weathering track continues when I have time. So far, the main is painted all the way to NR Junction.

More to come...

Date: 11/26/22 14:40

7. With the track and wiring complete, the signals were installed where needed. For now, we're using the stock Digitrax signals. These will be replaced by the correct signals as we get them built. All that's left is to chase a few bugs in the computer program for the new section, but, the mainline is now in service all the way to Matfield, KS

8. We now turned our attention to installing the brackets that will support the bench work for the second and third levels.

9. Now that the brackets are installed, we started to cut and install the board to form the backdrop.

More to come...

Date: 11/26/22 14:46

10. More backdrop

11. Still more backdrop.

12. And the backdrop around NR Junction.

More to come...

Date: 11/26/22 14:55

13. "Are those clouds?" Nope, I've started to tape and mud the seams and staple holes in the backdrop board. Once sanded, it will get a final coat of paint.

14. The cork for the yard at Emporia, KS was glued down. We bought a couple of rolls that were 4'x30' and there's only one seam in the entire yard. It's amazing what you can find on the internet.

15. I did mention a running session at the start of this update, so that's where I'll close it out. Here's a shot of some of the trains that were ran.

Enjoy,
-Dave

Date: 11/26/22 16:46
Author: boejoe

Fantastic progress.  Keep up the good work and postings from time to time.

Date: 11/26/22 18:04
Author: mcdeo

Yes, thank you for sharing. Those L brackets look very consistent, great work. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 11/26/22 22:07
Author: atsf121

I'm enjoying watching your progress, that's going to be an amazing layout.

Nathan

Date: 11/27/22 08:33
Author: ChrisCampi

Terrific update as usual. I'm guessing about 400+ feet of mainline on the first level? Must have felt good to operate on that!

Date: 11/27/22 15:49

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Terrific update as usual. I'm guessing about 400+
> feet of mainline on the first level? Must have
> felt good to operate on that!

Thanks Chris. We're currently around 800' of mainline. A train moving at 50 scale MPH and only stopped once took 23 minutes to make one lap. One of the visitors that ran commeted that the layout kept going and going.

-Dave

Date: 11/27/22 16:57
Author: trainman

Why is it I keep picturing one of you guys on a cart like Austin Powers trying to do a 3 point turnaround at one end of the layout ? Lol.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/28/22 07:53
Author: dcorreia

Can you show how you attached the upper level to those brackets? They look upside down to me!

David Correia

Date: 11/28/22 10:56

dcorreia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you show how you attached the upper level to
> those brackets? They look upside down to me!
>
> David Correia

Hi David, they look upside down because they are! If you look in picture 6, you can see that the brackets are attached to the top of the second level. We're doing this because most of the track is going to be on risers and the scenery will be level with that. That way you won't see the brackets at all when you look up at the bottom of the upper levels.

-Dave

Date: 11/28/22 15:46
Author: SPDRGWfan

Clever!

Posted from Android

Date: 12/07/22 05:59
Author: 4745

Hi,
What an impressive layout this is going to be.
Two questions though,
What size timber are you using? Is it 4 by 1 DAR,
And how far apart are the cross pieces to support the track bed?
Thanks from afar.
Graham.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1077 seconds