Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Model Railroading > Life Like(Proto 2000) issue

Date: 11/30/22 11:24
Life Like(Proto 2000) issue
Author: DRGWK59

I have an older Life Like ALCo PA in "as delivered" DRGW colors, that has developed a weird noise in the lead truck.  It's part of an A-B-A set and has run beaut fully for a long time, but this past weekend it developed the aformentioned issue! I have pulled the shell off and since it's full of DCC decorder and speaker and motor stuff, I am leary about removing the weights and electronics.  How is it best to removed the gear cover on the truck, if it's removable?  I have found on-line a set of instructions for the units, but can find nothing about removing the gear cover.  Any help would be appreciated.

David Ketchum
DRGWK59
Cheyenne WY

Date: 11/30/22 11:28
Re: Life Like(Proto 2000) issue
Author: OHRY

You most likely have a cracked gear on one of the axles. Older P2k units are notorious for this problem. There should be a cover on the bottom of the truck that can be removed and the offending axle replaced easily. Myself I used athearn replacement axles on my Proto units, simple as drop in the new axle and replace the cover.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/22 11:29
Author: dcorreia

Sound like you have the common gear issue on your units. Can you pop of the covers on the bottom of the trucks?

Date: 11/30/22 14:28
Author: wnehoc

The PA trucks and axles are different. Athearn axle gears don't fit.

OHRY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You most likely have a cracked gear on one of the
> axles. Older P2k units are notorious for this
> problem. There should be a cover on the bottom of
> the truck that can be removed and the offending
> axle replaced easily. Myself I used athearn
> replacement axles on my Proto units, simple as
> drop in the new axle and replace the cover.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/22 15:16
Author: OHRY

wnehoc Wrote:
> The PA trucks and axles are different. Athearn
> axle gears don't fit.
>
> OHRY Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You most likely have a cracked gear on one of
> the
> > axles. Older P2k units are notorious for this
> > problem. There should be a cover on the bottom
> of
> > the truck that can be removed and the offending
> > axle replaced easily. Myself I used athearn
> > replacement axles on my Proto units, simple as
> > drop in the new axle and replace the cover.
> >
> > Posted from Android

That stinks! Never had one of the PA's just a fleet of the GP7's.

Date: 11/30/22 16:48
Author: UP951West

Carefully pry off the black gear box cover with a small flat bladed screwdriver . Look at each black plastic gear for small cracks  . Likely is the first front axle which takes a beating on the curves. Wonder if Micro Mark has a tool to push  the plastic gear on to the axle pieces ? Be sure to carefully check the flange width with a NMRA standards guage after  installing. It may be time to grease the gears on both trucks , too. That's what I do . Also check the flange width on all wheels to prevent derailments on turnouts and curves. 
If that doesn't solve the noise issue, then a drop of La Belle model RR oil is needed on all turning points on the drive shaft , especially at the ends of the drive shaft and worm gear box. You'll need to remove the body screws to access the worm gear boxes. Pry off the gear box covers and apply La Belle plastic compatible gear grease. Snap them back on . If you've never oiled the points and ends of the drive shaft, then it's time to do it. Take your time and you can get it done , David.  As an old friend of Bob Krieger , I'm  sad about his passing.  
Any further questions just PM me .   UP 951 West . 

Date: 12/01/22 08:48
Author: TCnR

UP951West Wrote:
> Carefully pry off the black gear box cover with a
> small flat bladed screwdriver .,,

for clarity, it's the cover on the very bottom of the truck assembly. Sometimes you can remove it without removing the truck assembly from the frame, sometimes it has to be removed to get a better grip or lessen damage. Once removed all the axles and gears will be visible and ready to pop right out.

Sometimes the top gear cover can be gently pryed off with a small flathead screwdriver without removing all the weights and circuit boards, letting the truck assembly to be removed, but the drive line has the accounted for. Sometimes it's a bear to fit it back in. take the opportunity to grease the gears before re-assembly. The cover re-installation is a simple press fit.

The first time I removed one of these I damaged the interlocking plastic fingers, or whatever they can be called.

Date: 12/01/22 09:17
Author: wabash2800

It seems the Proto PAs are getting cheaper on eBay since Rapido came out with them. Maybe you'll have to bite the bullet and purchase a donor for parts.

Victor B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/22 09:29 by wabash2800.

Date: 12/03/22 12:31
Author: Frank30

I would assume the Rapido PA does not come with Athearn style wheel sets,that would be a number of steps backward!
If you buy that at $300 plus with DCC, it would be your new main engine to use.
So make a wise choice when buying an engine to REPLACE your old switcher.
Frank30

Date: 12/03/22 15:01
Author: PHall

Frank30 Wrote:
> I would assume the Rapido PA does not come with
> Athearn style wheel sets,that would be a number of
> steps backward!
> If you buy that at $300 plus with DCC, it would be
> your new main engine to use.
> So make a wise choice when buying an engine to
> REPLACE your old switcher.
> Frank30

Read it a little closer, he said that the Proto PA's were getting cheaper since the Rapido units were released...

Date: 12/03/22 15:44
Author: tramfan

I had a Model Power E-8 that I detailed, changed the pilot, and custom painted back in the '70s. It was a nice model at the time with that big flywheel. But made a grinding noise (not a cracked gear) when running. I determined that the noise was coming from one of the wheelsets. I substituted a gearless axle which quieted it down without affecting the pulling power. If you are running three units together, one less axle shouldn't be a problem.

Date: 12/03/22 19:43
Author: chakk

tramfan Wrote:
> I had a Model Power E-8 that I detailed, changed
> the pilot, and custom painted back in the '70s. It
> was a nice model at the time with that big
> flywheel. But made a grinding noise (not a cracked
> gear) when running. I determined that the noise
> was coming from one of the wheelsets. I
> substituted a gearless axle which quieted it down
> without affecting the pulling power. If you are
> running three units together, one less axle
> shouldn't be a problem.

And since Alco PAs and EMD E units had A-1-A bogies, replacing a geared axle with  a gearless axle would be considered more prototypical.

Date: 12/04/22 11:39
Author: hogheaded

So, has anyone had success with mending a cracked Proto gear with epoxy, or something?

EO

Date: 12/04/22 19:35
Author: wabash2800

There is a Proto Lehigh Valley PA for $30 on eBay right now that could be used for parts. I tried sending the link to your private email, but it didn't work.

Victor B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/22 19:38 by wabash2800.

Date: 12/05/22 23:09
Author: wnehoc

I’ve heard of people using aluminum tubing to make a ring or collar that press fits over the axle and holds it together.

hogheaded Wrote:
> So, has anyone had success with mending a cracked
> Proto gear with epoxy, or something?
>
> EO

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0733 seconds