Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Model Railroading > Once more into the breach

Date: 12/01/22 12:10
Once more into the breach
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Back inside the Sugar Pine Lumber Company Minarets 2-10-2T to replace a defective decoder. This is the kind of project I tend to put off awhile because I remember it was a job fitting everything in the first time and I know going back in to pull it all out and rewire things won't be any easier. But now it's done and ready to roll and that feels pretty good.

Jeff Johnston
thesugarpineshop.bigcartel.com

Date: 12/01/22 13:20
Re: Once more into the breach
Author: ChrisCampi

I feel ya. Doing basically the same type of thing with this older F59 that was DOA. Lucky for me not a decoder issue but some failed solder joints and grease that hardened on all the worm gear bushings locking things up. Good rainy day projects. 

Date: 12/01/22 13:41
Re: Once more into the breach -- next up
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Next up on the workbench list: Fitting a NWSL 2-6-2T with a sound decoder and hardware plus a new can motor. The existing Lenz decoder and Sagami 12x20 with a flywheel works well enough, but the motor is far to high speed for this application. I needed to reset the maximum speed CV way down to get it to behave. The new motor is a slightly smaller square can with low-RPM and high torque characteristics. Fitting the Tsunami decoder, speaker and keep-alive into this guy is going to be interesting.

Date: 12/01/22 22:12
Re: Once more into the breach
Author: atsf121

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel ya. Doing basically the same type of thing
> with this older F59 that was DOA. Lucky for me not
> a decoder issue but some failed solder joints and
> grease that hardened on all the worm gear bushings
> locking things up. Good rainy day projects. 

I still need to do my F59, that project's been waiting for way too many years now.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds