Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Model Railroading > What kind of decoder for a NYC hudson? Also, a night photo.

Date: 01/20/23 10:39
What kind of decoder for a NYC hudson? Also, a night photo.
Author: steam290

I want to upgrade a post 1993 Riverossi J3a hudson with DCC and sound, but I'm totally unsure what to get.  I have never added a decoder to anything, but have plenty of locomotives that came built with DCC and sound.  I've noticed some decoders come alone, and you'd have to buy a speaker separately?  How do others go by selecting these componants?  Is there a kit that comes with the decoder and speaker included in a package deal?   Finally, does anyone know if any decoders have something similar to an actual NYC whistle?  The stock whistles that come in the BLI models do not sound like NYC, but basically just generic. I want something that sounds authentic to the NYC. 

I've included a "night" photo of one of my NYC engines.  This is NOT the J3a in question, rather, a BLI J1d, but I thought you guys would appreciate the image all the same. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/23 10:42 by steam290.

Date: 01/20/23 11:29
Re: What kind of decoder for a NYC hudson? Also, a night photo.
Author: jdw3460

I would strongly suggest a Soundtraxx Tsunami 2 steam decoder. Soundtraxx also sells good speakers.   You would have to see how the tender comes apart.  The decoder and speaker would go in the tender.  I'm pretty sure Soundtraxx support can help you on wiring, speaker installation.  The Tsunami 2 has a LOT of options for locomotive sounds, whistle selection, etc.  It is also easy to adjust the chuff rate to match the driver rotation.  If you want quality, it can't be beat.  
BTW......beautiful night shot of the Hudson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/23 11:30 by jdw3460.

Date: 01/20/23 12:08
Author: Frank30

SoundTraxx also offers a devise used with steam engine installations.  It firmly connects to the front underside of
the tender and has 9 solder pads on the tender end. Connect all the wires from the decoder that support motor
and engine lighting.  The front end of the devise pivots left to right and has a matching solder pad for each of the
wires connected to the back end.  It makes for a very neat install.  Your purple speaker wires connect to the speaker
you've installed in the tender either facing down against the floor in which you've drilled holes or up through the
coal pile into which you've drilled holes. Make sure you use some silicone around the edges of the speaker
so the sound completely exits the tender.  Let us know how it works out.
Frank30

Date: 01/23/23 06:13
Author: steam290

Thank you both!  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds