Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Model Railroading > SP Lives!!!

Date: 01/22/23 13:35
SP Lives!!!
Author: wheel_slip

SP Tunnel Motors 8307 & 8553 lead a step sister GE B40-8 8087 through town on a warm Sunday afternoon...

Andy

Date: 01/22/23 13:59
Re: SP Lives!!!
Author: Highhood

Very nice picture.

Jon Fink
Schenectady, NY

Date: 01/22/23 16:06
Author: atsf121

Very nice, I remember those Greyhound buses as a kid, they would stop at the Suisun, CA station.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/22/23 16:26
Author: FiveChime

Very nice weathering!
Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 01/22/23 17:37
Author: PasadenaSub

Great scene!  And nice use of the Greyhound MCI MC-7 bus as well, Iconic Replicas I presume?

Date: 01/22/23 17:42

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great scene!  And nice use of the Greyhound MCI
> MC-7 bus as well, Iconic Replicas I presume?

Yes, a very nice bus!

Andy

Date: 01/23/23 05:13
Author: ghemr

Everything featured in this scene looks good!

Date: 01/23/23 08:20
Author: mile250

As a kid, Greyhound Scenicruiser (the one with the sort-of vista dome) LA to Phoenix, Sunset Limited return. My mom liked the bus better because its seats were more comfortable for her short legs. That's when I decided to have long legs.

Date: 01/23/23 11:34
Author: BoilingMan

Yeah, love the MC-7.  When I hired out with Greyhound we did all of our training on MC-7's.  They were the last standard transmission busses Greyhound bought, and the last in service after the MC-5's were retired.  (sold to Saudi Arabia?)   They were fun to drive!
SR

Date: 01/23/23 11:50
Author: dragoon

outstanding weathering on the locos, and the background is tops - is that a diorama or a printed backdrop?

Date: 01/23/23 12:06

dragoon Wrote:
> outstanding weathering on the locos, and the
> background is tops - is that a diorama or a
> printed backdrop?

The background is printed on vinyl

Andy

Date: 01/23/23 12:27
Author: TomG

BoilingMan Wrote:
> Yeah, love the MC-7.  When I hired out with
> Greyhound we did all of our training on MC-7's. 
> They were the last standard transmission busses
> Greyhound bought, and the last in service after
> the MC-5's were retired.  (sold to Saudi
> Arabia?)   They were fun to drive!
> SR

That's a great looking scene and I like the weathering as well. A very well done scene and modeling.
But from the time police, by the time the B40-8s hit the rails the hound MC7s were off the roster. The workhorse MC9 and last days of the MC8s are in order. All 3 iconic rep models are great looking and fit in nicely. 
Boiling, i dont know how many went to Saudi, but the outfit I worked for had 2 ex hound MC5s and 3 ex hound MC7s and 2 ex hound MC8s. They also has 2 never hound 1979 MC9s that were by far my favorite coaches until the 102D3s.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/23 12:38 by TomG.

Date: 01/23/23 12:49
Author: BoilingMan

Re: MC-5’s retirement. In about 1982 I was working the San Luis Obispo Extra Board. We were getting MC-5’s being worked South on the Coast. This was odd in that 5’s were rare in SLO at the time. The word was they were all headed to Houston to be shipped to Saudi Arabia.
It seems reasonable that the Saudi’s had a set number they’d agreed to, but it was high enough to gut the fleet to the point Greyhound decided to retire the type altogether.
SR

MC-5’s handled great- almost “sporty” (fun on the PCH between Santa Monica and Pt Mugu !). But I never liked the fat Bakelite looking steering wheel- just wasn’t comfortable in my hands.

Date: 01/23/23 16:35
Author: TomG

Redwoow Empire Lines had the two ex hound 5s they used one the schedule between Redding and Eureka on an abandoned hound route that tied into hound on both ends. The 4 speed trans and rear axle gearing was not advantages in the mountainous 299 corridor and the final push over Oregon mountain resulted in downshifting to 1st gear in one of the coaches. I did always like the Greyhound stripped blue seat covers.

Hey did I say I really like the photo! One attention to detail I zoomed right in on and liked is the green beams on the bridge.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds