Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers new HO Phase-1 SD45 for Great Northern Modelers

Date: 01/27/23 13:11
Walthers new HO Phase-1 SD45 for Great Northern Modelers
Author: arwye

Walthers, unannounced, has tooled and released a phase-1 SD45 body for their new GN 400-407 series models. I’m holding in my hands a Walthers Proto SD45 from their now shipping latest release. Great Northern #406 and it appears to be a perfect match for the very first phase 1 SD45’s of which GN received #400-407.

A quick review of Brian Rutherford’s September 2003 extensive SD45 Revisited article shows that this new model ticks all the boxes for a phase-1 and GN model, as far as I can make out.

-four low brake trucks….check

-type one handrails…..check

-standard range dynamic brakes….check

-low step pilots….check

-type one fuel tank cut out mounting….check

-firemans side front low nose brake mount…check.

Their are some subtle differences between the shades of Omaha Orange and Pullman Green used on Walthers previous release for GN SD45’s 408-417. The orange on this model is a tad reddish and the Pullman green a tad blackish compared to that previous model and our GN Reference Sheet 28 color chips. However Walthers did correct the nose and rear oranges scallops to a wider orange base where that color band meets the frame as compared to the more “pointed” scallop on their previous SD45 release.

Date: 01/27/23 14:52
Re: Walthers new HO Phase-1 SD45 for Great Northern Modelers
Author: ChrisCampi

They look sharp. Hopefully there are a lot of happy GN fans out there who will enjoy them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds