Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Model Railroading > Two wins in my book: Atlas U28C's and Lombard Hobbies

Date: 03/10/23 07:52
Two wins in my book: Atlas U28C's and Lombard Hobbies
Author: SimpleMoMike

No connection to either company, but after having a excellent experience I felt motivated to share.

Atlas' latest release of the Southern Pacific U28C's to be the right choice for me. The model fits a need to pull my Kaiser Steel ore train and I was impressed. The engine was under $200 which is hard to find one with DCC and sound in that price range. I bought all three SP road numbers and glad I did. I did not find any problems with programming as I put in the road numbers and lowered the overall volume. The lighting package is nice as it features the emergency stop red light on top, the nose mounted headlight and cab mounted Gyralight. The headlight is a little bright for my taste. The engines are fine together however, one engine did move a little faster than the others and I put that as the third unit and it seem to work without having to speed match. Overall... kudos to Atlas for this engine.

I purchased the engines from Lombard Hobbies, first time using them. I was impressed with the speed of my order and delivery. When I received my order, the box contained a red Lombard Hobby shopping bag, some gummy bears and credit card size gauge for checking N and HO scale wheels and track. Nice touch Lombard... I am a fan. My only let down was their site has a tab for Scenic Express but there was not products there. I love their ballast but I will have to find another source for them. Even my local hobby store doesn't carry them.

Many your trains be free of derailments and thanks for looking.

Michael Mickens
Placerville, CA

Date: 03/10/23 08:03
Re: Two wins in my book: Atlas U28C's and Lombard Hobbies
Author: CPR_4000

I agree, Lombard's prices can't be beat.

Date: 03/10/23 08:12
Author: ghemr

I've been a customer of "Jeff's" (which is the name most locals use rather than Lombard) almost since he started. Indeed, great prices!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/23 08:38 by ghemr.

Date: 03/10/23 10:24
Author: inyosub

I just got one of those SP units from Lombards myself. I had not pre-ordered one in SP but after
seeing the photos I wanted at least one. Got. a couple of other 'new' cars with the order. Amador
Central and TBOX from Atlas and a grey WRWK (Providence and Worchester go figure) that just 
called to me (g) as well as a WPRR Centerbeam (Willamette & Pacific)
They are a back up store to my regular dealer (who shall remain nameless) who has been falling
down on some of my pre-orders. I have been very loyal for about 20 years so a little disconcerting.
I had ordered one of the Santa Fe U28 and in checking with him, they had never received it (was
it ever ordered? ) so he went fishing and came up with one. But... if I'd never checked would I have
got it? The Santa Fe's w/sound went fast. I was eyeing one at Lombards and poof they were gone.
Note: was told they came in a month ago.
So Lombards does get a thumbs up, as does Otter Valley in Canada who fully filled an order for
6 cars that my dealer wiffed on. Also, if you all are interested, Otter Valley are doing the jumbo gons
like what Athearn rolled out in different roads and the like. Check them out if you like those uber
modern construction waste gons. CSX runs a ton of them. 

Date: 03/10/23 11:15
Author: northridgeswitcher

Michael, Nice photos thank you for sharing.

I to discovered Lombar in September 2021.   I have place a number of orders and pre-order.   Also agree great prices and service. 

I deal with their Mail Order Person Alex he is great.

Take care and be safe.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 03/10/23 16:13
Author: funnelfan

Looking good!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/12/23 00:47
Author: DGOLDE

For those who have this model please compare the model to actual photos of SP U28Cs.  Especially compare the fireman's side to actual photos and count the number of boxes below the cab and part of long hood.  The model should have eight of these boxes which is the normal for all U28Cs plus on the SP U28C's and for that matter all SP U28Cs, U30Cs, and U33Cs there should be another box on top of the boxes behind the cab.  Also note that some time after 1970 or so on all six axle GEs that the number of boxes on this side was reduced from eight boxes to six boxes.  Of course it is best to always compare your models to actual photos of the railroad the model respresenting.

Date: 03/12/23 08:52
Author: PHall

DGOLDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those who have this model please compare the
> model to actual photos of SP U28Cs.  Especially
> compare the fireman's side to actual photos and
> count the number of boxes below the cab and part
> of long hood.  The model should have eight of
> these boxes which is the normal for all U28Cs plus
> on the SP U28C's and for that matter all SP U28Cs,
> U30Cs, and U33Cs there should be another box on
> top of the boxes behind the cab.  Also note that
> some time after 1970 or so on all six axle GEs
> that the number of boxes on this side was reduced
> from eight boxes to six boxes.  Of course it is
> best to always compare your models to actual
> photos of the railroad the model respresenting.
>  

The "extra boxes" are available from Hi-Tech Models.

Date: 03/12/23 09:49
Author: CPR_4000

DGOLDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Count the number of boxes below the cab and part
> of long hood.  The model should have eight of
> these boxes which is the normal for all U28Cs plus
> on the SP U28C's and for that matter all SP U28Cs,
> U30Cs, and U33Cs there should be another box on
> top of the boxes behind the cab.

The model's subbase does have 8 boxes. Would have been nice if the EUC box had been provided as an extra part, but not all U28C's had them (PRR and UP for two). As mentioned, the EUC box is available from Hi Tech Details, HTD-6028 with louvered doors, HTD-6032 with plain doors.

IMO the screening on the model is too "dense," can't be seen through. Proto U28/30B's are much better in this respect. However, KV Models offers finely etched U28C screens (https://kvmodels.com/kv-519h/) and radiator cores (https://kvmodels.com/kv-520h/).

Date: 03/12/23 19:11
Author: DGOLDE

Thanks for answering my questions and its too bad that this box wasn't included in the model.  I hope that the detail company has lots of these boxes in stock.

Date: 03/15/23 20:11
Author: TomG

They do, with and without louvers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds