Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Model Railroading > Scalecoat?

Date: 03/12/23 17:25
Scalecoat?
Author: jburek

Is Scalecoat finished at Minuteman Hobbies or are they just having trouble getting bottles?

Date: 03/12/23 21:06
Re: Scalecoat?
Author: mcdeo

Gone, no more, dust in the wind. Really a sad day, as I really like the paint.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 03/13/23 06:15

Any idea what happened?  Thought they were doing OK.

Date: 03/13/23 09:54
Author: tomstp

DAMN, hate to hear Scalecoat is gone.

Date: 03/13/23 16:42
Author: Frisco1971

oil based paint are a thing of the past
O that what I have been told ............

Date: 03/13/23 17:27

You mean solvent based paint.  But what about TruColor - fairly new and Acetone based.

Date: 03/13/23 18:18
Author: alongthejointline

Two months ago in the Model Railroader online forum, a member named 'Whitenight' posted: "It seems that another paint company has bit the dust. Scalecoat Paint has joined the list of paint labels that have been discontinued. The phone number for MinuteMan Scale Models has been disconnected, and their web site ... has been taken down.... Any orders that had been placed have gone unfilled. I placed two orders in July of 2022 with no product delivered and my payment taken with no refund."

Other MR forum members suggested these as replacements -- Arcus (it's aviation focused so would need mixing), Tru-Color, and Tamiya.

Date: 03/13/23 18:19

Tru-Color 'paint' is actually an ink. I'm learning to paint with it, not too bad, if you thin it enough. Still liked Scalecoat for sure. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 03/13/23 22:27
Author: g-spotter1

If this continues, we will all be in the Rustoleum isle at Home Depot, trying to find a match.  Sheesh.

Date: 03/14/23 02:10
Author: Lighter

You guys are really thinking in a tunnel. Railroad model builders are really a small part of the model building hobby. Humbrol enamels have been around for a hundred + years. AK Interactive's "Real Colors" are lacquer. Look at the brands marketed to military and ship model builders. Choose your solvent. Yep, no new world railroad names on the jars and cans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/23 02:12 by Lighter.

Date: 03/14/23 10:19
Author: Valleyman

For me, the best paint going for my modeling interests, is PBL's Star Brand paints. One coat coverage, drys in minutes and numerous colors. Paint can be scuffed with a fiberglass brushed in a short time. 

Valleyman

Date: 03/14/23 22:10

I've heard that the PBL star brand paint is the exact same stuff as Tru-Color. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 03/15/23 17:26
Author: tracktime

mcdeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard that the PBL star brand paint is the
> exact same stuff as Tru-Color. 

From my experience, Star Brand paints seem to be thicker in viscocity compared to Tru-Color/TCP.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 03/15/23 17:43

How long before TruColor is off the market?

Date: 03/15/23 20:53
Author: Valleyman

Here's a couple of Hon3 flangers I scratch built and painted with Star Brand paints. Good coverage, decals well and weathered with chalk.

Valleyman

Date: 03/16/23 09:38
Author: dmaffei

Too bad. It's my favorite paint. It lays down well with high gloss to make decals virtually disappear. I'm hoping someone takes over manufacturing for them, but time will tell. I have a bit in stock and will use it wisely. 

Date: 03/16/23 13:28
Author: WM1977

Have never been able to use water soluble paints so I guess I will hope my floquil and scale coat supply will last me. I did use Tamiya once and it was ok but finding matching colors and supply sometimes is difficult .

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds