Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Model Railroading > 1970s era Safe-pac Auto Carriers by Roca Prototype Models

Date: 03/20/23 17:51
1970s era Safe-pac Auto Carriers by Roca Prototype Models
Author: MrMRL

Down at the local train club at the moment, just snapped a few rosters of some recent additions to the fleet. A new player in the HO market, Roca Prototype Models out of Billings, MT recently released their first model, the Whitehead & Kales built Safe-pac auto carrier. Built in the mid 1970s, they're a nice transition between older open auto racks and their newer closed cousins.

Four models to share below...
1. ATSF 700001 (built 11-74)
2. NW 400017 (built 3-75)
3. WP 89009 (built 2-75)
4. CPAA 556104 (built 6-75, with 8-95 lube dates)p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/23 23:55 by MrMRL.

Date: 03/20/23 17:52
Re: 1970s era Safe-pac Auto Carriers by Roca Prototype Models

Models weigh in at 7.9 oz out the box, ~0.4 oz over the NMRA weight standard for this length of model. Plastic "Kadee #5" clone couplers, 28" metal wheelsets with rotating bearing caps. Interior decks if someone really wants to fill them up. Air hoses on the ends hang too low, they snag on every grade crossing and track switch, so be prepared to repair/replace that.

Date: 03/20/23 17:57

Overall a nice model, and a welcome addition of a new player to the Model Railroading community. And some folks out there say this hobby is dead...

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 03/20/23 17:58
Author: PasadenaSub

Great models and photos.  Really dig the N&W and Santa Fe versions.

Rich

Date: 03/20/23 19:52
Author: CPR_4000

Would be interested in seeing the CPAA in delivery paint, action red with multimark?

Date: 03/20/23 20:17
Author: ChrisCampi

Beautiful models. Looks like they are using 28 inch wheels. Is that the case?

Date: 03/20/23 23:49

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful models. Looks like they are using 28
> inch wheels. Is that the case?

Yes, looks (in my opinion) to be 28" diameter metal wheelsets with rotating bearing caps.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 03/21/23 10:16
Author: wingomann

Nice looking cars.  Model companies are spending a lot of time making very detailed cars.  Unfortunately many of them keep putting crummy couplers on them that we have to replace right after buying the car.  Considering what they are charging for the model, why can't they charge a couple of bucks more and put real Kadee's on them?  

Date: 03/21/23 19:26

wingomann, I imagine it is a tough/difficult choice for any model manufacturer... Bow down to the Kadee standard and ante-up for the use of their 'standard' coupler, or step out a make your own to save a few bucks on the licensing costs... I bet it can be equally difficult to lock in which Kadee the average modeler would prefer, standard or semi-scale?

All I can say in my opinion is... I prefer the manufacturers to include their own (cheaper) Kadee compatible alternative. I'll happily remove them and toss them in the trash. I've got several bulk packages on hand of Kadee #119, #153, #158 for present and future needs.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 03/21/23 19:42
Author: SPDRGWfan

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet it can be equally difficult to lock in which
> Kadee the average modeler would prefer, standard
> or semi-scale?

Those that did lock in seem to have gone with "scale head" #158, including Tangent, ExactRail, Moloco, Wheels of Time and Intermountain. Athearn and Atlas be are notable holdouts. Walther's has their own metal clone of the KD#5 head

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds