Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Model Railroading > Tampa Northern and Modern SAL power in the shop

Date: 03/27/23 17:57
Tampa Northern and Modern SAL power in the shop
Author: SALGUY

I'm busy working on power for my under construction Tampa Northern layout.  In theory, it runs North from Tampa, FL to Richmond, VA.  The Tampa Northern will handle local and yard duties.  The SAL power will handle through freight and passenger operations. 

Anyhow, there are currently 8 engines in the shop for the new layout.  From the left, in the first photo, are 4 GP38-2s.  These will be the very first Tampa Northern Units.  Future TN units include 3 Athearn SD38s, 1 Kato SD38-2 and 2 Athearn SD7s.  The SD7s will get extensive redetailing done before they are put into service. 

The rest of the units will all become more modern Seaboard Air Line units.  That includes the F45, SD40-2 and 2 U33Bs as well.  In a weird turn of fate, the 2 U33Bs were scl units.  They got stripped and are on their way to becoming SAL units. If you will notice the SD40-2, the future 762, is also equipped with a Hancock Air Whistle.  The SAL used these on numerous E units and all of their SDP35s were so equipped.  So, I've decided to continue the SAL practice of using them. 

There are 2 more U33Bs, 3 more SD40-2s, 4 SD45s, 4 SD40s, 2 F45s and 3 FP45s all awaiting their turn in the shop as well.  These will all become Modern SAL power. 

With the GP38-2s, I'm in the process of finishing up their detail work.  They are all being identically detailed.  This is to give them that "family" look. 

The 2nd image is a representation of what the Tampa Northern paint scheme will look like. 

The 3rd image would be the custom decals I had done by Circus City Decals.  I can't say enough about them.  They do first rate work with an exceptional turnaround time as well.  They will be doing other decal work for me. 

I'm sure some folks are curious as to why I'm working with these old Blue Box units, especially when more up to date versions of most of these models are available.  The answer is simple, I'm 62 years old.  I've been a model railroader since I was about 9 or 10 years old.  These Athearn units are what I had to work with back in the day.  I'm old school, I actually enjoy sitting at my desk and working on these units.  It's a sense of accomplishment for me.  Most of all though, as I said, I ENJOY it. 

Be sure to follow the Tampa Northern Railroad https://www.facebook.com/groups/879490203259220/?ref=share_group_link

Date: 03/27/23 20:13
Re: Tampa Northern and Modern SAL power in the shop
Author: tomstp

As they say:  Whatever floats your boat !

Date: 03/27/23 22:17
Author: WP921

Great to see all those Blue Box shells lined up.  Brings back memories.  I'm just a little younger than you SALGUY so I know what you mean.

Date: 03/28/23 17:38
Author: 1019X

Interesting story line. Will the Tampa Northern have any interchange freight cars or MofW cars that you will be modeling?

Date: 03/30/23 00:17
Author: SALGUY

Yes, the TN will indeed have its own freight equipment.  Right now there are 9 Accurail 50ft plug door cars that are waiting their turn in the strip tank  and then the paintshop.  I've also got 12 of the newly announced Athearn PCF 50ft box cars on order.  The storyline on these cars are they will be insulated cars and will be assigned to beer service out of Tampa or they will be assigned to service for Tropicana. There will also be a packing house in Brooksville that will use these cars.

There are several paint schemes under consideration for these cars.  Ill show one of them. 

There will also be a handful of wetrock phospahte cars in service to a phospate mine on the layout.  The majority of cars assigned there will be SAL cars. 

With regard to MofW cars.  We haven't crossed that bridge yet.  There will have to be a few but the type and number of cars have yet to be thought about, never mind decided on.

First photo, stripped Accurail 50ft plug door boxcar.

2nd photo, scratchbashed wetrock phospate care.

3rd photo, one of the proposed TN paint schemes

1019X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting story line. Will the Tampa Northern
> have any interchange freight cars or MofW cars
> that you will be modeling?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds