Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Model Railroading > Matching model freight cars to prototype

Date: 05/15/23 10:05
Matching model freight cars to prototype
Author: pmirick

Does anyone know of a list or article which matches the different freight car models to their prototype?  Thought I remembered an article in one of the model publications a  couple of years ago but can not seem to locate it.  I am particular interested in HO models.
Paul

Date: 05/15/23 11:05
Re: Matching model freight cars to prototype
Author: MojaveBill

That's a rather broad subject...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/15/23 11:12
Author: ts1457

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a rather broad subject...

It also depends how far you want to go with it.

Are you happy with something that is close or do you wish not to have any "foobies" ?

For steam era freight car prototype info, take a look:

Steam Era Freight Cars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/23 11:15 by ts1457.

Date: 05/15/23 11:33
Author: TCnR

It's a shorter list going to a Prototype road's historical society and finding their recommendations. Another good source is the MFCL discussion group on groups dot io, lots of info with good explanations, practical model car reviews from folks who actually bought the model.

Date: 05/15/23 12:11
Author: SPDRGWfan

I used to rely partly on Rail Model Journal for that - it was good back in the day but out of print for a long time now.  Another resource is the Color Guide books for certain railroads.  Being a Rio Grande fan I have Jim Eagers book for example.  There are similar books published for other railroads as well.  MFCL was mentioned, which has a lot of knowledgable people there.  I also look at various websites to compare models to the prototype.  RailGoat for SP/SSW fans is one example. 

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 05/16/23 09:20
Author: pmirick

Found the list I remembered.  I had checked the MR index but couldn't find it that way.  Ended up using their archives to look at back issues.  Knew it was in the past couple of years and found the list.  Model Railroader ran a three month series of articles on Freight Cars of the 70's starting in August 2020.  In each article they cover different cars and they have separate list a particular car type (covered hopper, box car, etc) which identifies the model railroad manufacturer and the different cars of this type that they made.  It than further identifies the operational period for each car.  These lists are very useful for anyone modeling the 70's to about 2000.  
Paul

Date: 05/16/23 10:24
Author: SPDRGWfan

Another resource I forgot to list is rr-fallengflags.org

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0787 seconds