Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > I finally got it worked out

Date: 06/02/23 10:25
I finally got it worked out
Author: wabash2800

This is to be called "Bordner Street" (named after a friend) on  my Wabash RR Indy Branch layout. I finally got it all worked out in my CAD program to my liking and it will fit!

See the attached 3D from my CAD track plan.The three tracks on the right are the PRR tracks. The single track on the far left is the Wabash Indy Branch. Off in the distance, after crossing the B&O double-track main, the Wabash splits into arrival and departure tracks with the Wabash Yard in the next room. (The B&O double-track main is the horizontal line off in the distance.)

This location planned on my layout is where my Wabash Indy Branch will connect up with the Pennsylvania RR at Indianapolis to access Indy Union Station and the Pennsylvania RR Hawthorne Freight Yard (both staging). Both the Pennsy and the Wabash also cross the B&O here. The Wabash has its own yard in the other room but in theory, the Wabash Indianapolis Yard is rather small and outdated, and the Pennsy, Ford Motor Co., and the Wabash have something worked out for the Wabash RR Detroit trains to originate and terminate at Hawthorne Yard near a Ford plant. The Wabash RR Toledo trains, extras and mixed local will still use the Wabash Indy Yard. There will also be beau-coup interchange work at the Wabash Yard courtesy of a connecting track with the Indianapolis Union Railway.

The tower will be one of the brick replacement towers that the PRR built during WWII (like those at Smithboro, Vandalia, Illinois, and Dunkirk, Ohio). I will have to scratch-build that. I will also have to scratch-build or kit-bash the PRR Lines West signal bridges. (The Lines West Signal Bridges were unique with sheet metal plates at the top ends of the signals bridges, among other differences.) They were available as brass kits from TrainCat.

I haven't decided yet if I will use semaphores or searchlight signals for the Wabash at Bordner Street. Of course, the PRR will use position light signals on signal bridges. The B&O will be the only dummy track,  but a B&O position light, cantilever signal will be on the layout. Not shown are a freight house, interchange etc. parallel to the B&O.

All the switches are No. 8s with the exception of a No. 7 for the Wabash yard entrance.

Victor Baird

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/23 12:08 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/04/23 12:42
Re: I finally got it worked out
Author: wabash2800

Another Kudos to Trainorders and Trainorders members.

Mark Evans was paying attention and found some drawings in a past issue of RMC for the brick PRR WWII replacement tower I want to scratchuild. That'll save me a trip out to a prototype to who knows what kind of reception I would get from the RR. (I would be taking photos from all sides and a few measurements but technically would be trespassing.) 

Incidentally, there are  variations and Walthers is coming out with the one located at Bricker, Ohio that is a bit different and larger than the one I want to model.  I am modeling a smaller version like that at Race (Logansport, Indiana) Dunkirk, Ohio, Vandalia, and Smithboro, Illinois and Piqua, Ohio (the one in RMC.) 

Edit: I did get two TrainCat Lines West Signal Bridges from a source.

Victor Baird

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/23 15:18 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds