Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Model Railroading > What are we coming to?

Date: 09/23/03 09:08
What are we coming to?
Author: atsfman

I would suggest that if you haven't been on the HO section of Atlas forum you go there to look at the latest baby drivel over the upcoming GP38-2's from P2K. No wonder our country is in trouble. We can't even do hobbies in peace. I gave up on that forum after the flap over MMR's NMRA and everything in between.

Bob

Date: 09/23/03 10:10
Re: What are we coming to?
Author: mayor79

I just read them and laugh. There's no point in stressing and getting that worked up over a HOBBY. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, hopefully sooner or later people start realizing that and start enjoying their hobby agian.

Oh well.

-Mike

Date: 09/23/03 10:28
Author: BrianM

I agree with you but also disagree as well. And the only reason I disagree is this, If I am paying $140-$150 retail for a unit the details should be right(or real close to it-I am not a rivet counter). Yes, this is a hobby but it is turning into a very over priced hobby. And if a company wants to charge that kind of price they should make the details as close as they can.

Brian

Date: 09/23/03 10:59

Brian, you are right. I didn't make myself clear enough. I too am a rivit counter and I want things as accurate as possible. What I was pointing at was the way they carried on (both sides), though there was some voices of reason mixed in. That particular model doesn't interest me at this time. If they do it later in Santa Fe (the dynamicless) sp, geeps they got from the TPW, then I would be very interested. I am used to having to make changes and corrections to about all brands to get them as close to Santa Fe diesels in 1989.

Oh Well.

Bob

Date: 09/23/03 12:35
Author: BNSFCajon

Just posted a link to this discussion & 2 protagonists skipped right on by they were so busy slamming each other!

Date: 09/23/03 14:39
Author: fjc

The Evil Rivet Counters are to blame!

Date: 09/23/03 18:05
Author: airbrake

Frank stop bragging.

Date: 09/23/03 21:33
Author: BNSFCajon

Yeah Frank stop it! LOL. BTW it's gone from 4 pages to 6 since this afternoon & the "conversations" aren't any less heated.

Date: 09/24/03 03:33
Author: BentnoseWillie

I think it's settling a bit - Jim Six got wind of the whole thing and answered a few key questions. Most importantly, that the models he saw were *production* models, not preproduction samples. This means that the GP38-2's that we see in the stores will in all likelihood have this discrepancy.

I don't know what all that other flak was about. Makes me wish I'd never clicked on the thread, much less tried to address some of the comments.

Wishing I'd been in Cleveland, I remain:
B-Dubya

Date: 09/24/03 04:39
Author: Lighter

> I don't know what all that other flak was about.
> Makes me wish I'd never clicked on the thread,
> much less tried to address some of the comments.

The loudest poster has a long track record of disruptive posts that play fast and loose with information that the poster, largely, makes up.

A simple observation that was posted as a FYI was turned into some conspiracy thing and pulled out all sorts of authority figure anger.

Date: 09/24/03 06:23

BentnoseWillie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know what all that other flak was about.
> Makes me wish I'd never clicked on the thread,
> much less tried to address some of the comments.
>
> Wishing I'd been in Cleveland, I remain:
> B-Dubya

That is why I decided not to participate actively in the Atlas forum any longer. There is one individual in particular who hates the NMRA, the MMR program, and anything that looks like someone might think they are better modelers than he is, or know something more than he knows, and he fans the flames on those threads. I used to argue, I quit.
I certainly don't do my hobby to the satisfaction of everyone else in the hobby, but so what? It is my railroad, my modeling not theirs. But I have learned the hard way not to try to share anything publicly or you will find yourself in a "holy war".

Bob Miller

Date: 09/24/03 06:52
Author: Inlinebob

atsfman Wrote:

> That is why I decided not to participate
> actively in the Atlas forum any longer.
>
> Bob Miller

That's too funny. I went from here over to the Atlas Forum this morning, and who is the overall most recent post by?

Bob Miller!

Face it, we all hop back and forth and all around. Some guys are nice, some are jerks... most are good folks.

Date: 09/24/03 08:10

Look back and you will see I haven't been posting. However, I felt the one on DCC was a safe one because many of those who want to fight don't bother with that kind of post.
I have answered several posts indvidually if I had something to contribute, but I will not be brought into another fight, so I have stayed clear and let them have at it.

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter who has the last say. When we are dead and gone no one will remember anyway.

Bob

Date: 09/24/03 11:22
Author: Brunswick

It is interesting that you "gave up" on the forum but still read it and then post elsewhere about it?

atsfman Wrote:
> I would suggest that if you haven't been on the HO
> section of Atlas forum you go there to look at the
> latest baby drivel over the upcoming GP38-2's from
> P2K. No wonder our country is in trouble. We
> can't even do hobbies in peace. I gave up on that
> forum after the flap over MMR's NMRA and
> everything in between.
>
> Bob

Date: 09/24/03 13:30

Not interesting, I just quit posting for over a month, and the last two days posted on a subject that in non-controversal, will not draw the ones who are foaming at the mouth.
I thank you for thinking it is interesting, but you still won't see me posting on other topics at Atlas IF they involve a starting brawl with the indivduals who like to do so.

Same for this forum. There is enough hate, disrespect, and fighting going on in this country without doing it in a hobby environment, especially for something as silly as the current GP38 war going on over there.

Bob

Date: 09/24/03 21:01
Author: thefab4

I have no way to prove it, but I would bet that if one could reduce an actual real engine to scale, there would be threads about something being wrong on it. In fact, I would bet anything on it. If only I had "I Dream of Jeannie" powers.

Date: 09/25/03 09:59
Author: Inlinebob

atsfman Wrote:
> There is enough hate,
> disrespect, and fighting going on in this country
> without doing it in a hobby environment,
> especially for something as silly as the current
> GP38 war going on over there.
>
> Bob

Now that I totally agree with! Heck, our soldiers (children, siblings and friends) are being picked off at a rate of better than one a day and for what? So we can argue about toys? Is that what they are dying for?

Osama is on the loose. There are no WMD's. An admission that there is no connection between 9/11 and the guy we just overthrew. Yet, a toy train is what gets the dander up?

Seems to me Bob is right. There are much more important things to worry about!

Date: 09/25/03 21:36

Inlinebob Wrote:
> atsfman Wrote:
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is enough hate,
> > disrespect, and fighting going on in this
> country
> > without doing it in a hobby environment,
> > especially for something as silly as the
> current
> > GP38 war going on over there.
> >
> > Bob
>
>
> Now that I totally agree with! Heck, our
> soldiers (children, siblings and friends) are
> being picked off at a rate of better than one a
> day and for what? So we can argue about toys? Is
> that what they are dying for?
>
> Osama is on the loose. There are no WMD's. An
> admission that there is no connection between 9/11
> and the guy we just overthrew. Yet, a toy train is
> what gets the dander up?
>
> Seems to me Bob is right. There are much more
> important things to worry about!

Exactly, in fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if the current world conditions have us on edge more than we want to admit, or maybe we just don't recognize it. I would guess that as a nation we are on such a "hate everyone who disagrees" that we can't settle down to enjoy life and the pleasures of a hobby.
Bob
>
>

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds