Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Model Railroading > Theft problems when displaying layouts at train shows?

Date: 10/27/03 20:47
Theft problems when displaying layouts at train shows?
Author: C.P.Huntington

I have three small portable layouts - one completed and two
under construction - and I have been thinking it would be fun
to display one or more of these layouts at a model train show.
My concern is having items (trains, structures, etc.) stolen
or broken when I am taking a break or looking at the other
exhibits and would not be watching my layout.

Has anyone here tried something like this? I belonged to a
N-TRAK club years ago and we never had any problems, but we
always had several club members to watch over things. If I
displayed my own layout I would be by myself.

I realize 99.99% of the folks out there are honest, but it's the .01%
that worry me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If anyone wants to take a look at my layouts go to:
http://www.geocities.com/cphuntington/

Date: 10/27/03 21:56
Re: Theft problems when displaying layouts at train sho
Author: tjohnson00

Hi,

I've never had anything on display at Train Shows but if I were going to display a layout or trains of any kind, I would have someone along with me whom I can trust so we could take turns watching the display while the other checks out the show. I've noticed that for the most part, most displays have at least two people at them or they've made some kind of arrangements to have the display watched for them while they checked out the show.

Either way, I don't blame you. I would worry about that .01% too! It's the .01% that will rob you of your investment in a heartbeat!

Much success to you

Terry
Berkeley,CA.

Date: 10/28/03 00:53
Author: tunnelmotor

Insurance is usually a key factor at UK train shows - all exhibitors expect the organisers to arrange and pay for this. As a consequence there is a resaonable expectation that the owner will ensure adequate protection for his models whilst travelling to and attending the show. It is clearly not wise to leave precious models unattended for any length of time.

In over 20 years of organising shows we only ever had one claim for the theft of a loco, whilst the operator was not looking (probably a hand over the back of the layout into the staging area and its gone).

A lot of shows also provide barriers but of late insurers have come to realise that more damage is done by little ones being seated on the barriers by parents and feet swing and knock off bits etc..

We always find that there is a brotherhood of interest amongsy railroad modellers and each look after their own - take the lpunge but do not be afraid of asking the owner next to you to looki after your layout/display etc for a short while so you can take a look at the show - you can do the same for him/her.

In short give no-one the temptation to try to remove any of your display models...

Date: 10/28/03 04:07
Author: EasternSP

I have participated in several open houses with my home layout and have used video cameras conspicuously positioned and each with a monitor for the visitors to see the layout from a different perspective. From the visitor perspective, it is an additional look at the layout. From my perspective, it provides the added security that keeps the hands off my toys that want to look at, test, try, see why it does what it does, check out the detail, etc. I believe it does make a difference because I have never had anything stolen or "adjusted" on the layout during an open house.

Ken, D&J Railroad, Stafford, VA

Date: 10/28/03 08:43
Author: santafedan

Our club has been at several GATS shows without a problem. We have a set of stantions and a rope to keep most about 2 feet away from the edge of the layout. Someone is always present "to answer questions" read...to keep an eye out for problems. The only problem is photographers wanting to get close.
The same 10 x 20 HO layout is on display from Thanksgiving to New Years in a bank lobby. It is unattended most of the day. We have Plexiglas all around it for "protection". This has been successful for us. I check on it daily and find things as I left them the day before.

Date: 10/28/03 10:53
Author: shortliner

Hi Jeff
I've found, here in the UK, that the number one way is to operate from the front - that way you are in the right place and it lets you interact with the public. Try to take a buddy, so that you can both have "breaks". Have a barrier, be it rope or something more solid like a row of chairs. If you are really bothered fit a removable plexiglas front. One of mine actually has a plexiglas frontage that is made to look like a hurricane fence - it's really there to stop anything falling off the front track(which is close to the layout edge), but it is solid enough to deter wandering fingers, especially if you display the layout fairly high up. You can always have a couple of plastic step-ups for the small ones to see. Also - have a switching stick, designed by Wayne Roderick , http://www.ida.net/users/tetonsl/railroad/cabsmpll.htm
that you can hand to your viewers and let them have a go. They control forward, back and stop - you set the speed so that mummy's little darling can't play drag racers with your prized models. They'll love it
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Date: 10/28/03 14:47
Author: toulyardgoat

I had the unfortunate situation of a SW1500 being lifted from the layout during one of our open houses 2 years ago. We've had a few traveling shows outside the club. Most of any problems were the infamous fingers on the layout and throwing of switches. We all expect that from young children and do our best to keep an eye out.

Roger
Monterey & Salinas Valley Model Railroad

Date: 10/29/03 07:28
Author: Ferro_Equine

shortliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....You can always have a couple of
> plastic step-ups for the small ones to see.

Be careful with those. If a child slips, falls, and injures themselves on a stepstool that you or the show provides, then you or the show could be held liable. I don't know about the UK, but we've had to adress that problem at our shows in good 'ol Canada. The US could probably be even worse for litigation...

-FE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds