Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Passenger Trains > Yosemite by rail

Date: 10/05/05 21:46
Yosemite by rail
Author: rewrite

Looking for some advice from all you Californians.

We're planning a trip to Yosemite next September. We'll be taking the Coast Starlight from Seattle, and one of the San Joaquins up to the park.

I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that it's foolish to hope to make a same-day connection with 712 at Martinez (11 scheduled at 7:34, 712 at 8:23). And since the other train that connects with a bus into Yosemite (716) doesn't get us into the park until 8 p.m., I'm imclined to stay on 11 and spend the night in Oakland or San Francisco, then catch 712 the next morning.

So: Where should we stay in San Francisco, convenient to the Amtrak bus stops and to a day of touristing? Or is there enough to do in Oakland for a day (my wife is dubious), and if so, where should we stay there?

Once we're in Yosemite, we're thinking of splurging and staying at the Ahwahnee (it'll be my 50th birthday trip). The Amtrak Thruway bus is scheduled to stop at Yosemite Lodge. Can the driver be talked into going to the Ahwahnee? If not, is it a doable walk with luggage?

Any other tips would be welcome.

Craig

Date: 10/05/05 21:55
Re: Yosemite by rail
Author: jccollins

Yes, it would be foolish to try to make a same day connection from train 11 to train 712, especially at Martinez. It does happen, but very rarely. Even trying to make the Starlate-San Joaquin 712 connection at Sacramento where you would have a 1hr45min window of time would be foolish since odds are you would miss it too.

The Merced-Yosemite Nat'l Park Amtrak Thruway bus won't let you off at the Ahwanee, but the driver will tell you how to get there. Once you step off the thruway at Yosemite Lodge you can board a free park shuttle (they run frequently throughout the day) that will take you from the Lodge to the Ahwanee and/or many of the other points in the valley that you might want to see. I would recommend taking the thruway connection from train 712 rather than from 716 since it is a nice scenic ride between Merced and Yosemite and the 712 thruway connection from Merced is usually operated by a friendly guy named Jim who points out all the scenic highlights along the way. He is a great tour guide. If you take the connection from train 716 out to Yosemite the narration will be minimal and it will be dark for most of your ride through the gold country on the thruway bus.

Date: 10/05/05 22:23
Author: Mudrock

Take the Coast Starlight to Oakland, stay at the Jack London Inn then take the San Joaquin trainto Merced the next morning.

Chris

Date: 10/05/05 22:38
Author: Highspeed

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> stay at the Jack London Inn

And if you have time to visit The City, take the ferry to SF!

Date: 10/05/05 23:17
Author: GenePoon

Mudrock Wrote:
> Take the Coast Starlight to Oakland, stay at the
> Jack London Inn then take the San Joaquin train to
> Oakland the next morning.
=================================

Traveling with someone else?

Depending on how "someone else" feels about it, PHONE (don't use the Web site) to make a reservation, and ask for a room facing the street, for a wonderful view of street running by Amtrak and UP. The reservations clerk knows why you would be asking.

Or ask for a room facing anywhere else.

As I said: "Depending."

Date: 10/06/05 01:08
Author: stash

You're on vacation and I'd suggest staying in San Francisco. Plenty of hotels to choose from. Oakland is a great place to watch trains, but not too much else. San Francisco is one of the world's great cities and there is so much to see and do you will have a difficult time choosing. Connecting buses to Amtrak trains are available from San Francisco anyway.

Staying in Oakland would be like going to New York City and staying in Newark. Why go at all?

Public transportation is not only plentiful in San Francisco, but fun if you ride a cable car route or the streetcars on the F line. Rent a bike and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, returning by ferryboat. Or make a reservation for Beach Blanket Babylon for one of the longest running and funniest shows in The City.

As for the Ahwahnee, shuttle buses within the park get you there. No problem.

Date: 10/06/05 05:46
Author: DavidP

Jack London Inn is perfectly situated to watch trains, but if you would like a little nicer hotel in Jack London Square try the Waterfront. Doesn't have a direct view of the tracks, but is definately a step up in quality. Also a two-minute walk to the SF Ferry.

Another option is to stay at the Woodfin Suites next to the Emeryville station. Its also quite a bit nicer than the Jack London and their "hills view" rooms also overlook the station - its one of the best railfanning hotels in the country! Non-railfan things to do are similar to Jack London Sq. - Borders book store cafe, Emeryville Public Market for ethnic foods, quick walk over to the marina. If you're ticketed to SF on Amtrak they may let you use any of the Amtrak buses to go to the city (rather than the connection for your train) but I'm not sure of that.

Dave

Date: 10/06/05 07:56
Author: av

Here's another possibility. You can get off the Starlight in Sacramento, early in the morning, spend the day and night in Sacramento then take the early morning San Joaquin from Sacramento to Merced, then the bus. I have not checked the timetable but I think this is possible without too much delay. Don't forget, bus connections to Yosemite will work even if trains are late. Return by bus to Merced, then SF by San Joaquin. Sacramento has lots to offer (RR Museum, other museums, etc) and is walker friendly. Holliday Inn and several other hotels are close to station. This plan I think works even if Starlight is late.

Date: 10/06/05 09:27
Author: CPRR

Here is another idea: Take the Yosemite Valley Railroad. It goes from Merced to Yosemite. Great trip, with lots of forest views.

Forgot to include the trip to Lawerence Livermoore Labs to get access to the time machine.....

Date: 10/06/05 14:17
Author: KeyRouteKen

Yeah-- it would be great to transfer to the "Yosemite Valley RR" at Merced, CA from Amtrak.. Jack Burgess might just be the engineer that day!! (grin)

KRK

Date: 10/06/05 15:46
Author: rewrite

Thanks all for the help. I knew this was the place to ask. I think we'll probably spend a night in Oakland on the way up to the park, and a couple of nights in the city on the way back. (We did Sacramento a couple of years ago.)

Date: 10/06/05 17:03
Author: SteveD

Dinner and concert at Yoshi's off Jack London Square would make an Oakland detour desireable even if you weren't connecting between Amtraks.

Date: 10/06/05 19:23
Author: RuleG

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
> Yeah-- it would be great to transfer to the
> "Yosemite Valley RR" at Merced, CA from Amtrak..
> Jack Burgess might just be the engineer that day!!
> (grin)
>
> KRK

Seriously, you will be able to see some of the fomrwe Yosemite Valley Railroad right-of-way from the Thruway Bus. This was a very interesting railroad. You may want to check out the following website:

www.yosemitevalleyrailroad.com.

In 2002, I was, through Travelocity.com, able to find a room at the Holiday Inn at the Financial District/Chinatown border in San Francisco for $89.00.

If you like Italian food, go to the North Beach section of San Francisco.

Have a great time.

Dave

Date: 10/06/05 22:15
Author: webmaster

I would not stay at the Jack London Inn unless you are on a tight budget. It is kind of a scummy, noisy hotel. I suggest the Waterfront Plaza Inn or my favorite, the Woodfin Suites in Emeryville. Just a few blocks from the Woodfin is a real nice new mall with lots of dining options. Plus at the Woodfin you can get a really nice view of the tracks. I should also add that the Woodfin is right in front of the Emeryville train station. Extremely convenient.

Todd Clark

Date: 10/08/05 08:20
Author: dutchman

There is a huge Ikea Store in Emeryville/Oakland.

If you do not have reservations for the Ahwanee DO NOT arrive thinking you can get a room. Yosemite can be very tough to find a place to stay on short notice. Generally speaking, the Ahwanee is booked six months in advance. Get a reservation in advance with one of the lodges or hotels in the park, and know how you will get to them since you will be using public transportation, in advance!

If you haven't seen the Calif. State Rail Museum in Sacramento, the suggestion to stay in Sacto instead of the Bay Area is good. There are several hotels in the down town Sacto area that will shuttle you to and from the Amtrak station, and the station is only one block from the Museum, in Old Town.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds