Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Chief #3 arriving LA Union Station, 12/5

Date: 12/09/05 14:34
Amtrak Chief #3 arriving LA Union Station, 12/5
Author: PasadenaSub

Here's a few shots from this past Monday morning in Los Angeles. I was taking Amtrak Coast Starlight #14 north that morning, and had come in early on Metrolink 313 from Covina with plenty of time to spare - so I decided to hang out up on the platforms for a while. I noticed former 'Pepsi-Can' P32-8BWH 503 was sitting close to Terminal Tower on one of the station tracks, so I figured he was waiting to switch inbound Southwest Chief #3, which was running slightly late. I had never photographed #3 arriving in LA, so I immediately headed to the east end of the platforms to wait.

At around 8:30am, the Chief came around the corner, passing Terminal Tower.

Date: 12/09/05 14:36
Re: Amtrak Chief #3 arriving LA Union Station, 12/5

A few seconds earlier, the train met departing southbound Surfliner 566.

Date: 12/09/05 14:39

And a few seconds later. I usually don't like to bore people by posting these close sequential shots, but I thought there was enough of a difference in each to make it interesting.

Date: 12/09/05 14:42
Author: pecosvalleychief

So no hassle about taking pics on the platforms?

Allen in Bake-O

Date: 12/09/05 14:43

After the Chief had come to a stop, Amtrak 503 began backing up to head over to pull the express cars from the rear of the train.

Date: 12/09/05 14:50

And here's the head end of the Chief in the station, with AMTK 191 ahead of two other P42's. I'm glad I finally got the chance to catch #3 arriving at LAUS. No hassles from security, but I kind of hid behind a train shed support until the train arrived. I knew I was taking my chances, and I'm not sure if security has loosened any since the 'no photography at LAUS' stance a while back.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Date: 12/09/05 15:55
Author: stevelv

Man, LA is sure beautiful when there's no smog. Thanks for posting.

Date: 12/09/05 16:51
Author: ProAmtrak

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And here's the head end of the Chief in the
> station, with AMTK 191 ahead of two other P42's.
> I'm glad I finally got the chance to catch #3
> arriving at LAUS. No hassles from security, but I
> kind of hid behind a train shed support until the
> train arrived. I knew I was taking my chances, and
> I'm not sure if security has loosened any since
> the 'no photography at LAUS' stance a while back.
>
>
> Thanks for looking,
>
> Rich
I never had problems up there shooting trains, last time I shot 3 was when my aunt was on it running a bit late because of flooding over near Helendale so they had to hold it in Barstow for a while, but the only problem I did have was almost having my bag taken on the 9:15PM Metrolink on that very long March day when 3 got stuck outside in Pisgah, and to me that was just pure stupidity because all I wanted to do is to stretch my legs being stuck on a train for eternity!

Date: 12/09/05 18:22
Author: shtinkypuppie

#3 can be very impressive in that bright, low morning sun, especially when on-time; this big beautiful blue-and-silver train rolling in among all the white Metrolink trains buzzing in and out.

ProAmtrak, I'm probably just high but if I read what you said correctly, a train tried to steal your bags?

Date: 12/10/05 20:46
Author: ProAmtrak

shtinkypuppie Wrote:

> ProAmtrak, I'm probably just high but if I read
> what you said correctly, a train tried to steal
> your bags?

My bad, no some Metrolink Rail cops tried to steal it after I put it on a seat on the Metrolink and went back outside to stretch out for a bit and a Metrolink Manager asked if that bag was mine, I said yes, and at the same time I was pissed!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds