Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Trip Coast to Coast

Date: 02/20/06 06:16
Amtrak Trip Coast to Coast
Author: taskforce3guy

I was looking into take Amtrak from VA. out to Los Angeles. I was wondering for those who have ridden the superliners, I noticed that to sit downstairs is an "upgrade" of about $100. Whats the deal? Isnt it a better view to ride upstairs, than down low along the railbed?

Date: 02/20/06 09:52
Re: Amtrak Trip Coast to Coast
Author: hesdjjim

Hmmm... I just looked at travel itinerary options from Washington, DC to Los Angeles, CA. It doesn't look like they charge extra for a lower level reserved coach seat -- even in the summer, if that's when you are planning to go. My only guess is that maybe the lower level is almost sold out. That may drive up prices, but I am not sure.

By the way, if you are planning to be on the train for that length of time, I would highly recommend getting a sleeper, if you can afford it...

Date: 02/20/06 09:53
Author: john7968

The downstair seats are better for those who can't climb stairs, it puts you on the same level as the restrooms. And they will generally bring meals to folks who can't climb up to get to the diner or lounge.on #3 and #4

Also have noticed that when they have deadhead crews, that is where they generally put them, at leats

View is definatley better upstairs !!!

Date: 02/20/06 09:55
Author: karlj

That really depends on who you ask. Everybody has a different rationale for it.

Some people don’t care about the view at all. They just need to get where they’re going. Some may have a special need or requirement to be as close to the restrooms as possible. Some passengers actually get ill sitting on the upper level, or may be afraid of heights. Some passengers equate lower level seating as the same level as riding in an automobile. Some passengers may be uncomfortable around a lot of unfamiliar faces (sixteen passengers compared to 74 passengers). Then you have those who think lower level is like a posh little private area. For those that don’t have a legitimate need for lower level seating, the price of admission is raised to dissuade them. It then becomes an issue of demand.

Date: 02/20/06 21:10
Author: hammer

Hello,
I would second the poster on getting a sleeping car.
I did ride in an "economy" (or whatever its called now) room on the lower level. The noise was not bad, the view wasnt great, but there is no-one going up and down the aisles constantly, and the shower and restrooms are close by. If they had the deluxe bedrooms down there it would be great!
If I was to ride again, I would for sure get the lower level again.
TheHammer
Mark

Date: 02/20/06 21:56
Author: daylight

My wife and I just took a cross country trip from San Francisco to Philadelphia and back thru Los Angeles and up the coast.

We rode upstairs in the sleepers the entire trip. The longer legs from Chicago to LA we had the double bedroom which I highly recommend for two people.

We took the economy room for the DC to Chicago and up the coast from LA to San Jose and ride quality was just fine. Traffic in the hallway is nearly non-existent as it is only the sleeping car passengers and a conductor every now and then. This is due to the fact that the dining car is the Mason/Dixon line and no "commoners" back in the Greyhound section are allowed into First Class.

Try to get a room that is near the center of the car, I believe they are a lower number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, this way you will not have the noise from when someone opens the door to go to the next car.

I would not ride downstairs unless I was unable to climb the stairs. Seemed nosier down there, plus as stated earlier, there was some potent smells from the restrooms at times.

Good luck and remember it is an adventure. In other words, take the train ONLY if you do not have a time deadline to meet.

-Daylight

Date: 02/20/06 22:28
Author: westcoaster

I would agree with daylight's assessment. We had the same accomodations - roomette on 29 and bedroom on 5. There really isn't much traffic through the car. We left our door open a lot of the time so we could see out both sides of the car. Once on the train there is no reason except getting off at a station stop to have to use the stairs. There is a bathroom upstairs for the roomette passengers as well as the ones downstairs.

The accomodation charge, especially for the bedrooms, may seem a bit steep at first, but when compared to a driving trip the costs come out about the same.

Date: 02/21/06 02:03
Author: loco4501

When doing your search be sure to proceed to the point where you have a final price after you have selected the itinerary. Sometimes what looks like an "upgrade" price for lower level coach accommodations is simply the original coach price, it looks like you are paying more but really you are not.
BTW I highly recommend a sleeper for at least part of the trip. On a multi-day trip I like to go coach the first night out 'cuz I don't sleep too well at the start of a trip anyway. I like the lower level sleeper rooms because they seem a little quieter and also seem to ride a bit smoother. Also when I travel with my wife I get stuck in the top bunk, lower level has a "little" more room in the top bunk since the rooms do not have to fit the roof curvature, where the upper level rooms do. I am 6'2" 235 and need all the space I can get! ;)
RJ

Date: 02/21/06 11:47
Author: westcoaster

loco4501 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When doing your search be sure to proceed to the
> point where you have a final price after you have
> selected the itinerary. Sometimes what looks like
> an "upgrade" price for lower level coach
> accommodations is simply the original coach price,
> it looks like you are paying more but really you
> are not.
> BTW I highly recommend a sleeper for at least
> part of the trip. On a multi-day trip I like to go
> coach the first night out 'cuz I don't sleep too
> well at the start of a trip anyway. I like the
> lower level sleeper rooms because they seem a
> little quieter and also seem to ride a bit
> smoother. Also when I travel with my wife I get
> stuck in the top bunk, lower level has a "little"
> more room in the top bunk since the rooms do not
> have to fit the roof curvature, where the upper
> level rooms do. I am 6'2" 235 and need all the
> space I can get! ;)
> RJ

Agreed on the roomette top bunk! Our trip in Novemeber was our first in a sleeper. I'm glad we did the roomette first, as going from the bedroom to the roomette would have been tough. Once we saw what the roomette was like made down we decided to put it back up and just sit up, watch the lights outside go by, and snooze as we could. IMHO, if you are travelling with a companion, about the only thing the roomette gives you is privacy and the meals. If you want some room and a place to really lay down the bedrooms are the way to go. Having your own shower is nice too, but it is small even by RV standards. But there is the fact that the small size makes it easier to stay standing on some of the fine track we traversed! My wife was smarter - she took her showers at the longer station stops.

Date: 02/22/06 06:54
Author: GBNorman

From one who holds that "if the $$$$ aren't there for Sleeper travel, stay at home or use air transport until they are (auto for one person is no bargain and generally prices higher than Sleeper)', the Bedroom is the standard accomodation for two adults. While the Roomette does have two bunks, it is suitable only for a single adult, an adult traveling with small child, two adolescents whose family has a Bedroom elsewhere on the train, or two young adults who have been made patently aware that they are embarking on an "indoor camping' adventure.

As for Roomettes, I prefer Superliner Lower Level. The absence of hall traffic and access to 'facilities' are plusses. Stairs are not a problem for me, and the scenery/ well I only have reason to travel East of Chi, and 'I've seen it all' more times than I can count.

But please, Mr. Smith, use Sleeper; it appears that this is not a trip of necessity and is being taken for your travel enjoyment. Others may disagree, but I fail to see how overnight Coach (I've done it; my Sleeper once was B/O and had to be set out en-route) can be anything other than a masochistic endurance contest.

Date: 02/24/06 12:44
Author: taskforce3guy

Thanks for all the tips an advice! Brought up alot of things I hadnt thought about, an made me deiced things I previously hadnt! THANKS EVERYONE !!!

Date: 02/24/06 13:16
Author: sfericsf

I just traveled from SF to ATL. I took the #6, #30, and #19. You gotta go sleepers all the way! I called and asked for lower level sleepers because the 2nd floor sleepers have more traffic in the hallways and they rock back and forth more. Plus I like to be closer to the restroom.

Date: 02/25/06 23:49
Author: hesdjjim

One more thing, AVOID THE SUNSET LIMITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds