Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Passenger Trains > 110V AC power on Amtrak

Date: 07/10/06 23:13
110V AC power on Amtrak
Author: palumbo27

Is 110V AC power available on Amtrak trains???

I want to make sure my computer will be charged up for my trip to Hamlet from Jax to keep my ATCS monitor running.

This will be my first trip on Amtrak...Should be intresting...

Date: 07/10/06 23:20
Re: 110V AC power on Amtrak
Author: F40PHR231

There's an outlet in every Sleeper, but if traveling by coach, there's either one or two about 3/4 down the car, hope that nobody's in that seat already. The Sightseer/Lounge car has a few outlets, but none close to the seats, so a small extension cord would be ideal.

I was lucky enough to have one coach that had an outlet at every seat, but having that coach on your train is rare.

Date: 07/10/06 23:24
Author: JohnThomas

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was lucky enough to have one coach that had an
> outlet at every seat, but having that coach on
> your train is rare.

Chris, it's fortunately somewhat less rare in Amfleet IIs than in Superliners. :-)

Date: 07/11/06 07:00
Author: mobujr

Matt your right. On some of the Amfleet II cars you have to find the outlet. Theres an outlet on both side of the car. However some cars have been refitted with outlets at every seat..Moe

Date: 07/11/06 07:19
Author: dhart

My advice is to be one of the first to board the train and secure the rare outlet. Last time I rode to Chicago it was about half way down the coach.

Date: 07/11/06 10:37

Thanks for the replies! I am really looking forward to making my first trip...

I'm going to go up to Folkston tomorrow and watch trains for a couple of hours then head on back to Jacksonville to catch my train, and then get to look at Folkston from a totally different perspective....

They don't frown upon you having a scanner with you do they?

Date: 07/11/06 15:02
Author: davebb71

i have not had any scanner problems. they usually just say "oh, its one of you guys". either keep on low volume or wear an ear bud or headphones. bring a small gps receiver if you can, then you know exactly where you are...

dave, out.

Date: 07/11/06 15:32
Author: shtinkypuppie

Bring a power strip or something else you can daisy-chain to the outlet. May AC adapters with the big wall-warts screw you on the outlet, since there's often very little space between it and the next seat. Sometimes, the seat actually covers the outlet.

Date: 07/11/06 21:52

Did'nt think about the GPS...I have a Garmin GPS somewhere that I might have to dig up tomorrow...I also have GPS that plugs into my laptop, so I could actually use that with Delorme too...

People will probably think I'm quite the wierdo on the train with all the gadgetry I will have with me :)

Date: 07/12/06 22:51
Author: karlj

palumbo27 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> People will probably think I'm quite the wierdo on
> the train with all the gadgetry I will have with
> me :)

Perhaps, but gadget weirdos are very commonplace onboard now. You won't be anything they haven't seen.

Date: 07/13/06 20:41

It was very useful to some of the passengers...Everyone asked me "Do you work for the RR"....

It was particularly useful when we got put in the hole near Camden,Sc (I couldn't believe we got put in the hole to let a southbound manifest by)...After the train passed, we still sat there...The signal to get us back on single main was not working right..People started asking questions and I could answer them...We got permission to pass the stop signal, but has to proceed at restricted speed, for about 5 miles..People started asking why we were going so slow..So I started exlpaining away...

It was a nice ride overall, except being 7 hrs late..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds