Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Passenger Trains > Seattle Trip Report Part I

Date: 06/11/07 15:43
Seattle Trip Report Part I
Author: SunsetLtd

It all started on Thursday May 31st. We boarded #1 which pulled in at about 7:15 which really isn't that late so far. My cousin and I had Roomette 4 on the left side of the train. Our Sleeper was 32077 District of Columbia. We left ELP at about 7:45 and were off. We got amazing views as the Sunset lived up to its name on our way to Deming. We were called to the Diner at 8:00 for dinner. I had the cheese tortellini which was delicious. My cousin and my mom both had the Cheeseburger and they seemed satisfied with it, and my dad had the Braised Beef which he said was done to perfection. I guess Diner Lite is getting better. While we were at dinner our train stopped at Deming which has no station except for 2 green benches next to a road crossing. But that still didn't run people off because 9 people got on there all in Coach. For a flag stop that is a good number of people. After the train left Deming and we were done with dinner we ventured to the Sightseer for a few minutes to relax and to let the car attendant put our beds down. Our Sightseer was one of the recently redone ones and had the new table seating on one half of the car. After Lounging in the Sightseer for about 20 mins we went back to the car and went to bed. The next morning we awoke just west of glamis, Ca and the Dining Car steward was making the last call for Breakfast. We ran to the Diner and were the last people to eat breakfast before the Diner closed down. I was planning to have the French Toast but, since we were the last ones in the diner they had run out of it. I settled for the Omelet which was ok but not the best. While we were enjoying our Breakfast we spend along the Salton Sea and one detector clocked us at 81 mph. After finishing Breakfast we went back to our car and the train rolled into Palm Springs. Since we were not that late passengers connecting to northbound buses, would be put off in Ontario instead of Palm Springs. The trip over Beaumont pass was fast, and we got stabbed in West Colton for about 10 mins. Otherwise the rest of the way to LAX there were no delays and we pulled into LAX 3+ hours late.

After a one night layover in LA, we boarded the Starlight and headed north to Seattle. We were in roomette 10 in car 1430; 32097 New Hampshire. Our Starlight had a Parlour car #39970 which did seem to become hot at times but eventually cooled off and had no problems the rest of the way to SEA. We had a great lunch along the Coast, and were soon in SLO. We had to wait just out of the SLO station waiting for #11 to finish its station work before we pulled in. We ended up departing SLO 10 mins late. Our train made good time up Cuesta Pass and we sped out of Paso Robles only 15 mins down. We had no delays through the Salinas Valley and arrived SJC a few minutes early. Then this is where we started having problems with our car attendant. Our car attendant "her" (Don't want to name) wasn't to friendly or helpful. She shoved us back on the train 10 mins before we were supposed to depart. The other car attendants kept their cars open until the conductor called all aboard. Anyways we left SJC on-time and quickly made the run to OKJ. At OKJ I met a fellow TO member wesroberts who gave me these detailed timetables for the Starlight and the Sunset. Our conversation however was cut short because "her" once again shoved us back on early. We left OKJ on-time and sped through the bay Area and were on-time or early all the way to SAC. Then my cousin and I tried to step off with everyone else in SAC... sorry you kids can't get off here. That confused both me and my cousin because she was letting all the other passengers off and letting them smoke. We just dealt with it and turned in just as we pulled out of SAC. The next morning we awoke just south of Dunsmuir at about 7:30am. We had gotten stabbed during the night and were now 2 hours down. My cousin then suggested that we get breakfast in our room since my parents were not up. We press the Call button....no "her" we press it again 10 mins later... no "her". Soon the car attendant for the 31 car walked past and we called her over. We asked if she knew where "her" was she said she'd have her paged. About 2 minutes later the 31 car attendant pages her over the PA to come to room 10. She emerges 5 mins later, greeting us rudely with a "what do you all need now" We ask if we could have breakfast in bed, she replies "Why do you need breakfast in your room?? there's nothing wrong with you" At that point I've had it and just pulled my cousin along with me to the Diner. The server in nice enough to let us have a table to ourselves (it was a slow breakfast period). We had the French toast and we were amazed by the views at Mt. Shasta and Black Butte. After breakfast we pulled into Klamath Falls for a short stop. After Klamath Falls we had a great run through the Cascades and the views were spectacular! When we pulled into Eugene where we had the same problem with "her" she wouldn't let us off, so we avoided her altogether and went out of the 31 car. After leaving Eugene we made good time and rolled into Portland about 2 hours late. This time we had learned to not come in contact with "her" at all and stepped out of the 31 for that stop. After leaving Portland and safely in the hands of the BNSF, we had no delays and ran all the way through Washington at max speed and we finally pulled into Seattle King Street station at about 10:30pm just shy of 2 hours late.

And that is the end of part I. Part II will be posted later on tonight. Also pictures will be posted in part II.

EDIT: Took her name out in case it violates any rule.

Date: 06/11/07 16:04
Re: Seattle Trip Report Part I
Author: DutchDoor

Just curious. . . how old are you? Rhonda sounds like one of the "bad ones" all right, but it could be that she's had trouble with unsupervised children in the past.

By the way, I seem to recall reading a Trainorders rule that railroad employees are not to be identified by name, especially when making negative comments. Is that true, Todd?

Date: 06/11/07 16:06

I'm 15 and my little Cousin is 11. I just didn't like how she called us kids! I'm 15 not 4! She could at least say young man or young lady.

Date: 06/11/07 16:19
Author: DutchDoor

SunsetLtd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm 15 and my little Cousin is 11. I just didn't
> like how she called us kids! I'm 15 not 4! She
> could at least say young man or young lady.

Well, I can sympathize, but that's life. When I was 15, a hundred or so years ago, I got bullied by Southern Pacific conductors. Did you tell your folks how Rhonda was treating you? Maybe your dad could have taken her to task. The Amtrak literature states that in-room meal service is available for first class passengers. If Rhonda refused to do it, she was not doing her job, and should be held accountable.

Date: 06/11/07 16:19
Author: zuco74

Great report so far. Looking forward to Part 2 + the Photos.

Tony

Date: 06/11/07 16:29

Yes I did tell them and they said they would speak with her but that was all I ever heard. I don't think they got around to it. But oh well like you said that's life.

Date: 06/11/07 16:57
Author: GBNorman

This is a good report Mr. Schillinger and is worthy of my personal respect.

Your Sleeper Attendant should have been aware that you and your cousin were accompanied by your Mother and Father. and accordingly not likely to stray too far from the train.

Date: 06/11/07 17:09
Author: TheOssman

I'm 20 and I still find some people will try to push me around. Don't take it personally. Someone out there will always feel the empty need to make themselves feel better at someone else's expense.

Date: 06/12/07 10:04
Author: sfericsf

I've had Rhonda as an attendant before on the Starlight. Although I think she means well, she can be a real piece of work... LOL.

Date: 06/12/07 10:13
Author: GBNorman

Shall we all serenade this Attendant?

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/helpmerh.htm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2796 seconds