Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Passenger Trains > The Twentieth Century "Galena Limited" Rolls

Date: 10/06/07 07:02
The Twentieth Century "Galena Limited" Rolls
Author: GBNorman

The 20th Century Railroad Club's Galena fall foliage trip operated today as "Advance 381', or otherwise immediately ahead of the Carl Sandburg. Even though I had staked out my "Table with a View" at the Coffee House, I was caught "off guard' and only got a "partial". There were P-42's on either end, about four Superliners on the head and another four Amfleet on the rear. I did not observe any "PV" in the consist, but then my viewing was at best a "partial'. 381(6) was not more than five minutes behind and my view of that was obscured by an EB coal train.

Oh the woes of residing where there is simply "too much action', don't you wish you had that problem?

Date: 10/06/07 07:08
Re: The Twentieth Century Rolls
Author: bandob

Glad you had a good trip, Mr. Norman. That club runs some nice excursions.

B&O B (Club Member, but in the East)

Date: 10/06/07 07:13

Bob, afraid I only got to observe the train this morning passing the "Coffee House with a View"; the trip is in progress at this moment.

Date: 10/06/07 11:15
Author: mundo

The Amtrak Great Dome was scheduled to be in this Consist.

Did it make it?

Date: 10/06/07 11:49
Author: Adamscharters

There is one PV in the consist, but it blended in very well. Did anyone notice? The Great Dome is in the consist.

Date: 10/06/07 12:45
Re: Galena Limited

Mr. Mundo, unfortunately, all I can report is I had a partial observation; I was chatting with the owner's daughter when the "Century' went through, and I was not able to observe whether the Great Dome was in consist. I'm surprised she does not know what a railfan is (I think she does; but I don't think I am considered one, even though they know I ride Amtrak to New York and Florida), especially since her Father is retired Electrician from BN.

It will be well after dark when Galena Limited tonight.

Date: 10/07/07 08:04
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Adamscharters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is one PV in the consist, but it blended in
> very well. Did anyone notice? The Great Dome is
> in the consist.

Yes, the transition car (one of the ex-ATSF 399XX series) between the Superliners and the single-level cars. Now owned by Butterworth/ITA.

The consist this year is quite the dog's breakfast, but the Talgo problem sucked up most of the spare cars Amtrak had been counting on for their fall charters (Galena, New River train, etc.)

Also depends on what kind of rolling stock commitment (if any) Amtrak made to the 261 trips out of MSP this weekend...the 261 group has been able to put together a good set of Amtrak-compatible equipment on its own the last few trips. Anybody know?

Saturday's Galena train was a sellout, but there were seats available for walk-up sale this morning. Hope they do well!

NZ
Not aboard the Galena Limited this year (sigh!)

Date: 10/09/07 11:19
Re: The Twentieth Century "Galena Limited" Rolls
Author: RuleG

I checked earlier this year and did not find any information about this train on the Twentieth Century's website (the trip catalogue). Was it for members only? Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place on the website.

Thanks.

Dave

Date: 10/09/07 11:23
Re: The Twentieth Century "Galena Limited" Rolls

The latter Mr. Rule G; the trip was noted at 20th Century's site.

I never "went down" trackside Sunday morning. Had there been anything posted here to the effect of "Mr. Norman, would you try to observe and report the consist to the Forum", I would have done so.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds