Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Passenger Trains > Broken down Talgo?

Date: 10/07/07 16:04
Broken down Talgo?
Author: Edwardjb

About 3 pm saw a Talgo (complete train) being pulled by a UP SD-70 northbound through Puyallup, WA. on the BNSF. Could not see if any passengers were onboard, it was pouring rain and I was a block away. My first thought was that it had suffered a breakdown and UP had furnished the rescue power. About 30 minutes later, the on-time Talgo came by. Made me wonder if the first one actually broke down or if it was being delivered to Seattle after the recent inspections. Anyone know? And if a UP engine is on the point, does that mean it has a UP engineer? Or is the Talgo (Amtrak) engineer up there?

Ed

Date: 10/07/07 16:09
Re: Broken down Talgo?
Author: TheOssman

Edwardjb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And if a UP engine is on the point, does
> that mean it has a UP engineer? Or is the Talgo
> (Amtrak) engineer up there?
>
> Ed

The UP engine runs in much the same way as any Amtrak engine. It simply has a lower gearing and lower top speed, although almost all road freight engines are still rated for at least 70 mph. It is very likely that the Amtrak engineer is in it without a UP engineer; engineers do not necessarily need to qualify on locomotives, just the track they will run over. There isn't as big a difference among locomotive operation from the engineer's point of view as you may think.

Date: 10/07/07 16:27
Author: jdb

Go down 13 posts to "Report from 1009(5)".

This was the set that went north on Saturday as 1000. It took four and a half hours from Salem to Portland. A FURX SD40-2 was sent down to Hito to pull it on to Portland. While at Hito the second morning Cascade Eugene/Portland passed it.

It got sent south as the late evening Cascade to Eugene and died again coming north this morning. The UP engine was added to pull it north.

It is not a problem with the Talgo. It is a problem with AMTRAK engine #470.

jb

PS: I was aboard the 1000 yesterday when it got pulled to Portland. I don't remember ever being on a passenger train into Portland with a six-axle engine pulling it. There is a slow speed restriction for six-axle engines on the east end of the Steel Bridge and we were doing something under 10mph.

Date: 10/07/07 17:53
Author: Edwardjb

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.

Ed

Date: 10/07/07 18:20
Author: Amtkrd4man

Dejavu..... Today on 1000 we lost the 465 at Alford. Seems that the fuel pump shaft broke. Finally got the UP 4314 delivered to us and departed Alford at 940a. Guess the old F-59's don't know how to react with the Talgos anymore...

Date: 10/07/07 19:31
Author: roustabout

Amtkrd4man Wrote:
> Dejavu..... Today on 1000 we lost the 465 at
> Alford. Seems that the fuel pump shaft broke.
> Finally got the UP 4314 delivered to us and
> departed Alford at 940a. Guess the old F-59's
> don't know how to react with the Talgos anymore...

I wondered what happened to you today. Kept a watch out for ya and then you finally went by Albany when I was deep in the yard, no photo op... Noticed that 1004 was right behind, probably confusing everyone at the Albany Amtrak depot!

Roustabout out

Date: 10/07/07 20:18
Author: Jaanfo

That 465 was just being serviced at Redondo... did well at the point of 14!

Date: 10/07/07 20:20
Author: TheOssman

Jaanfo Wrote:
> That 465 was just being serviced at Redondo...
> did well at the point of 14!

Wonder if a certain member who has a noted dislike for those units on his train may have given it a rough time! I'm kidding around of course. Probably just one of those random things, like with a car, service the engine, but the minute you pull out of the shop with it the transmission starts acting up!

Date: 10/07/07 20:25
Author: Jaanfo

TheOssman Wrote:
> Wonder if a certain member who has a noted dislike
> for those units on his train may have given it a
> rough time! I'm kidding around of course. Probably
> just one of those random things, like with a car,
> service the engine, but the minute you pull out of
> the shop with it the transmission starts acting
> up!

It's when you bring it to the mechanic because it's acting up, it purrs like a kitten for the mechanic so they can't identify the issue, and as you drive away grumbling the car starts acting up again... a block later.

Date: 10/10/07 11:51
Author: ProAmtrak

Yep, it's one of those things that just fustrates you!

Date: 10/10/07 12:54
Author: Amtkrd4man

Lou.... would have rather taken the 1501 or the 644 as a leader.... Dreaming huh?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds