Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Passenger Trains > MTA New Haven Line -- railfan question

Date: 07/02/08 11:31
MTA New Haven Line -- railfan question
Author: fwwr5007

Will be visiting NYC next month and am looking to see if there's a station in CT on the MTA New Haven Line where photography is decent and the chance of "hassles" is pretty low. Will likely have an hour or so to spend there (not counting the to/from time on the train) if things work out.

Would love to catch one of those new Geep-ish looking GenSets if any are out and about; they look wicked cool in my humble opinion!

Thanks in advance...

Date: 07/02/08 15:57
Re: MTA New Haven Line -- railfan question
Author: LRVTO

I'll be there in Sept. and asked the same general question. I was advised to take the Hudson Line to Cold Spring where there is a place to eat along the river and shops to wander about in and a nice train ride. Not the route you asked about, but just sayin!

Date: 07/02/08 15:59
Author: pennsy3750

I spent a few hours on the platform at Devon a couple weeks ago. Just hung out on the platform and nobody seemed to mind. Decent photo angles can be had in either direction from the ends of the platforms.

Date: 07/02/08 18:17
Author: Jaap

The BL20GH is not a gen-set locomotive but a regular tier 2 compliant diesel of 2250 hp
one is currently on Waterbury Branch.

Date: 07/02/08 18:56
Author: chuchubob

For those with more available time than to be limited to an hour on the New Haven Line, Spuyten Duyvil on the Hudson Line is a good spot with morning light.
train 715
train 848
train 748

Date: 07/02/08 18:58

What makes Spuyten Duyvil special in morning light is the swing bridge.
Empire Service train 283
Train 69 Adirondak

Date: 07/02/08 19:15
Author: tq-07fan

I went out and photographed the New Haven line back in January 2004. I had hoped to get some of the New Haven style cantenary structure before replacement. At that time I contacted the MTA press agent who sent me a permission slip with detailed information to show to any inquiring minds. Unknown if the procedure is the same but the man was most cooperative and even knew that the original triangular style cantenary had all been replaced (by then). I can private message you the name and phone number I have upon request.

Date: 07/02/08 19:56

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went out and photographed the New Haven line
> back in January 2004. I had hoped to get some of
> the New Haven style cantenary structure before
> replacement. At that time I contacted the MTA
> press agent who sent me a permission slip with
> detailed information to show to any inquiring
> minds. Unknown if the procedure is the same but
> the man was most cooperative and even knew that
> the original triangular style cantenary had all
> been replaced (by then). I can private message you
> the name and phone number I have upon request.

This is no longer necessary. MTA (New York City Subway, Metro North, Long Island RR, and Staten Island Railroad) now has a stated policy that photography and videography of and on MTA public property are permitted. Tripods and lighting are not permitted (tripping hazard on platforms and blinding train operator/engineer). Some employees are unaware of this policy and may yell at photographers, but they are in the minority now.
On March 18 I spent two hours on the platform at Woodside photographing the IRT 7 trains while waiting for the circus train to show up on the LIRR below. Eight police officers were on the platform checking the morning rush hour trains. None of them indicated any concern with my photography.

Date: 07/03/08 05:48

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm hoping things will work out that I can get some time out there one way or another...

Date: 07/03/08 23:23
Author: retengr

pennsy3750 Wrote:
> I spent a few hours on the platform at Devon a
> couple weeks ago. Just hung out on the platform
> and nobody seemed to mind. Decent photo angles
> can be had in either direction from the ends of
> the platforms.

What little bit that remains of an old platform at Devon is on private property, the railroad.
You have to trespass in order to reach that spot. I do not recommend you do that as the police
will remove you if they become aware of your presence there.
There are ample places along all three Metro-North main lines as well as the branches where you
can take your pictures safely and probably without any problems.
Noel Weaver

Date: 07/04/08 20:33
Author: toledopatch

retengr Wrote:
> pennsy3750 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I spent a few hours on the platform at Devon a
> > couple weeks ago. Just hung out on the
> platform
> > and nobody seemed to mind. Decent photo angles
> > can be had in either direction from the ends of
> > the platforms.
>
> What little bit that remains of an old platform at
> Devon is on private property, the railroad.
> You have to trespass in order to reach that spot.
> I do not recommend you do that as the police
> will remove you if they become aware of your
> presence there.
> There are ample places along all three Metro-North
> main lines as well as the branches where you
> can take your pictures safely and probably without
> any problems.

It occurred to me that the person who referred to standing on the platform at "Devon" was actually at the Stratford station, which is a fairly decent place to catch all the New Haven Line "mainline" action as well as the Waterbury branch shuttles.

It is correct that Devon Junction itself is an unwise place to loiter.

Date: 07/06/08 20:04

Thanks again to all who responded. Based on the limited amount of time I'll have available, it looks like maybe a quick run up to Stamford (an Acela Express stop) with a short while to loiter before coming back into GCT will be in order for this trip.

If I can make it back to NYC sometime with more spare time, though, based on what I've seen here I think I'd shoot for spending some morning time at Spuyten Duyvil to try and catch a train on the swing bridge, and then head up to Cold Springs as it looks like a wonderful summer afternoon spot for northbounds (and southbounds with the locomotives pushing?). Maybe next time...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds