Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Passenger Trains > warrants last trip MR Bill Cotton.

Date: 07/07/08 22:43
warrants last trip MR Bill Cotton.
Author: groundhog

Okay enough already. Nobody else call me. Here it is today on Monday, July 7, 2008 and Mr. Bill Cotton will retire on his last trip on AMT551.07 and for those of you who have not had time ultimate pleasure of meeting and talking to this man let me tell you a little aboutg him. Bill Cotton hired onto the Southern Pacific Railroad at the young age of 26 in 1961. After running freight trains for many a year. Bill was asked to run one of the first passenger trains run between Oakland and San Jose. This run I've been told was on May 1, 1971 and it must have been a lot of fun because when Amtrak called in 1986 Bill was ready to go into action. And for the rest of us were just glad we did. I'm sure aftger the thousands of Trips there are alot of people better off today because they had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bill Cotton. But like the great moments in all our lives we must move on just as Bill did thru-out his career. It's time for Bill. As I've been told.l To enjoy time with his beautiful wife Nancy and two sons and three grandechildren which I was told are very rambunctious and will keep Grandpa jumpin. I have heard from many of you that Bill enjoys his sleep and also is looking forward to traveling back East where he is from. (Brooklyn) Well he may be from there but he is a season ticket holder for your hometown Oakland A's. We hope he keeps this up because Bill, everyone that has called me has said that the only thing that they would miss more than you leaving is you never coming back to visit with the occasional ride down memory lane. This is from me Bill, Dispatcher TLH, it has been a great pleasure to know you and have worked with you. I truly respect it when I get so many calls from people that love and respect you. We can have all the money and material things but it really comes down to respect and relationships with friends along the journey and that my friend makes you one wealthy man. Bill from all of your coworkers and friends have a great life and thank you so much for sharing a little of you with all of us........ ** Now for the official warrant for Mr. Bill Cotton* This order is acknowledgement of your valued cooperation both in service and personal conduct of which you may be proud. May this last trip impart to you as pleasant a memory as the splendid record you have left us. May you have the right of way from this the last starting terminal to your final destination and find enroute nothing but health and success. The care of good fellowship you have set out along the line of faithful service entitle you to the well deserved vacation you have you have so honorably earned. Accept this Hi Ball as a token of good luck and best wishes for a long and enjoyable rest. Signed, Your friends, Officers and Co-workers.

Date: 07/07/08 23:22
Re: warrants last trip MR Bill Cotton.
Author: jst3751

<No disrespect intended to the original poster, but only to enhance the wonderful beloved tribute to one of the few that all of us everywhere, even those like me that have never met Bill, are better off as a result of the goodness of his heart and mind.>

Okay enough already. Nobody else call me.

Here it is today, on Monday, July 7, 2008, and Mr. Bill Cotton will retire on his last trip on Amtrak Capital 551 of July 7, 2008, and for those of you who have not had time ultimate pleasure of meeting and talking to this man let me tell you a little about him…

Bill Cotton hired onto the Southern Pacific Railroad at the young age of 26 in 1961. After running freight trains for many a year, Bill was asked to run one of the first passenger trains run between Oakland and San Jose. This run I've been told was on May 1, 1971 and it must have been a lot of fun because when Amtrak called in 1986, Bill was ready to go into action. And for the rest of us, were just glad we did. I'm sure after the thousands of trips there are a-lot of people better off today because they had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bill Cotton.

But like the great moments in all our lives, we must move on just as Bill did thru-out his career. It's time for Bill, as I've been told, to enjoy time with his beautiful wife Nancy and two sons and three grandchildren, which I was told are very rambunctious and will keep Grandpa jumping. I have heard from many of you that Bill enjoys his sleep and also is looking forward to traveling back East where he is from. (Brooklyn) Well, he may be from there but he is a season ticket holder for your hometown Oakland A's.

We hope he keeps this up because Bill, everyone that has called me has said that the only thing that they would miss more than you leaving is you never coming back to visit with the occasional ride down memory lane.

This is from me Bill, Dispatcher TLH, it has been a great pleasure to know you and have worked with you. I truly respect it when I get so many calls from people that love and respect you. We can have all the money and material things but it really comes down to respect and relationships with friends along the journey and that my friend makes you one wealthy man. Bill, from all of your coworkers and friends have a great life and thank you so much for sharing a little of you with all of us…

** Now for the official warrant for Mr. Bill Cotton**

This order is acknowledgement of your valued cooperation both in service and personal conduct of which you may be proud. May this last trip impart to you as pleasant a memory as the splendid record you have left us with. May you have the right of way from this the last starting terminal to your final destination and find en-route nothing but health and success. The care of good fellowship you have set out along the line of faithful service entitle you to the well deserved vacation you have you have so honorably earned. Accept this Hi Ball as a token of good luck and best wishes for a long and enjoyable rest.

Signed, your Friends, Officers and Co-workers!

Date: 07/07/08 23:36
Author: SPC

Bill is a true gentleman and OAK/SAC will not be the same without him.

A quick story: a few years ago someone jokingly asked Bill when he was going to bid-off his high-paying, little-working Capitol job and start going to Bakersfield. He replied that he would like to do that, but it would take him a while to get qualified because it had been a while since he had worked down to Bakersfield on the San Joaquins - so long, in fact, that it was before the name had changed. No one could remember Amtrak's San Joaquins being called something else so Bill was asked to explain what he meant. He replied that the last train he worked down to Bakersfield was called the San Joaquin Daylight.

Bill, it's an honor to be able to say I've had the pleasure of working with a legend like you.

TMN

Date: 07/08/08 00:39
Author: groundhog

mr JST7351 my computor is, behaving badly your write up looks more like the warrent copy 58numbered lines easy to read

Date: 07/08/08 01:24
Author: jkchubbes

My dad told me last week that Bill Cotton was retiring. I remember him when I was younger when I tagged along with my dad to work. Last time I saw him I was up in the bay area for one of my interviews with Amtrak or Union Pacific. He told me to keep at it if I wasn't accepted. I cant remember what Bill Cotton's seniority number was systemwide over Amtrak, do any of you OKJ or SAC guys know, I remember it being way up there.

-Jacob Klatt
www.jkchubbes.com

Date: 07/08/08 06:26
Author: Goatboat

I would guess that Mr. Cotton's NRPC seniority number was a Roman numeral...

In 1989, Bill Cotton and Phil Gosney attended our wedding in Klamath Falls, back when they were working the Starlight between OAK and KFS. We left for our honeymoon that night on the train, with Mr. C in command. Due to snow all day, No. 11 was the only thing departing town southbound that night.

- gb -

Date: 07/08/08 08:13
Author: MarinCommuter

I'll miss Bill on the Capitol Corridor, and I'll miss him on the Reno Fun Train.
Enjoy your retirement, Bill, and thanks for your many years of great customer service.

Date: 07/08/08 10:36
Author: JCW

As a clarification, Mr. Bill, as many know would admonish those who utter the term "Oakland As" by replying," they're the Oakland Athletics you know." None will ever replace bill's presence and character! Enjoy a long, fulfilling and much deserved retirement Mr. William Cotton.
TTFN,
JCW

Date: 07/08/08 10:36
Author: ThumbsUp

Congratulations on your retirement, Bill! It was always nice working with you.

Date: 07/08/08 19:14
warrants last trip MR Bill Cotton.
Author: AmtrakJulie

Bill, you are one classy gentleman and it was a distinct pleasure to see you on the train. I wish you all the best.

Amtrak Julie (Jonesy's girlfriend and proud CCRider)

Date: 07/08/08 22:02
Author: calhog

I don't think I ever worked with Mr. Cotton, but he sounds like a great guy. Best of luck! I'm counting down the days myself.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0778 seconds