Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Passenger Trains > Wire down on Baltimore's Light Rail

Date: 07/07/08 15:57
Wire down on Baltimore's Light Rail
Author: bandob

This morning, passengers on an inbound train at Timonium Business Park heard a "crash," saw sparks, and their train came to a stop. Something had fallen on the wires. I heard "rumors" that it was electrical, from one of the catenary poles, others said tree limbs. Whatever the inciting factor, service is still suspended north of Falls Road, with shuttle bus service between there and Hunt Valley.
The first photo is taken about 10AM, and shows diesel #805 at the Timonium Business Park Station, ready to couple up and tow a dead unit back down to the shops at North Avenue. The second photo, about noon, shows a wire truck working between the Business Park and Lutherville.

According to the MTA Maryland web site, the disruption will continue until Tuesday morning. Hopefully others here on the board will have more details.

B&OB

Date: 07/07/08 18:42
Re: Wire down on Baltimore's Light Rail
Author: smitty195

In the second photo, I can see two bumper-mounted red lights on that truck. Any idea what those are for? In California it is illegal to have any forward-facing lens be any color other than clear or amber (unless it's an emergency vehicle).

Date: 07/07/08 19:16
Author: lowwater

smitty195 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the second photo, I can see two bumper-mounted
> red lights on that truck. Any idea what those are
> for? In California it is illegal to have any
> forward-facing lens be any color other than clear
> or amber (unless it's an emergency vehicle).

My guess would be brake lights, since hi-rail vehicles run both ways on track. I'd also guess they disengage when the truck is running forward.

lowwater

Date: 07/07/08 19:51
Author: joemagruder

How many light rail operators have a 44 tonner for a shop switcher?

From the lack of tension in the overhead on the outer track in the first photograph, it appears that the wire had broken or been torn down. What happened?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds