Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak 51 vs. Telephone Pole in Marmet, WV

Date: 02/12/09 08:34
Amtrak 51 vs. Telephone Pole in Marmet, WV
Author: Chase55671

I just heard about this on the Amtrak yahoo list. Not sure if it's been posted here, and I didn't see anything, but my apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Anyhow, this is what the message contained.

-Amtrak 51 hit a signal pole near Marmet, WV Wednesday the 12th. Heavy
winds caused the pole to fall over the track. Engine number 145 limped
into Huntington with both windshields shattered where CSX furnished
a "New" rebuilt GP-38? #2672 to lead the consist on to Chicago. Ernie

Sounds pretty interesting. I'm about 20 miles west of Marmet, and we had several trees down. As for the date, I'm sure he meant to put Wednesday the 11th.

Chase

Date: 02/12/09 11:03
Re: Amtrak 51 vs. Telephone Pole in Marmet, WV
Author: KimHeusel

51 left Indianapolis 1 hour, 13 minutes late today and finally arrived in Chicago 2 hours, 18 minutes late.

Date: 02/12/09 11:51
Author: eashock

Anyone know where in/near Marmet? I travel through there between NC and my folks in Ohio, an Marmet is usully my lunch stop (Wendys is trackside!)

-Eric Shock

Date: 02/12/09 12:23
Author: Chase55671

Eric,

I'd probably imagine the accident occured in that straight stretch through Marmet. Marmet is pretty small, and abot a mile or so west of Marmet there is a signal referred to as "South Malden" and about two miles east of Marmet, there is a signal referred to as "Cheylan". I'm still trying to figure out if he hit a telephone pole or an actual CSX signal pole. I'm not sure as of right now, but I'd say I'd have to lean towards a telephone pole, as I would imagine a signal laying across the tracks would be considered a "track light" and dispatcher would've most likely informed Amtrak of the track light. It's hard to tell, but I'll try to find out some information.

Chase

Date: 02/12/09 13:37
Author: Woodman

Several years ago I was on 51 out of Lafayette, IN, and we hit a trailer on the tracks. It just cracked the windshield and put out one light, and we were stuck. They would not let us move. We were bussed and the train was put on a sidling until the window could be fixed. How come, with the windows blown out, were they allowed to move?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds