Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Passenger Trains > Any updates on Portland - Vancouver BC train?

Date: 08/12/09 13:24
Any updates on Portland - Vancouver BC train?
Author: gobbl3gook

Does anyone have any current news on the Portland - Vancouver BC train?

News articles a couple weeks ago said it would be starting in August. I just called Amtrak and spoke with a live person who said she didn't have any information as to when it would begin.

They've been running this train as a Portland - Bellingham WA train for about 10 years waiting for everyone to get their $h!+ together to run it the last 40 miles to Pacific Central Station in Vancouver.

Thanks in advance,
Ted in WA

Date: 08/12/09 13:38
Re: Any updates on Portland - Vancouver BC train?
Author: Jaanfo

Date: 08/12/09 14:13
Author: Macster

Ha! I was about to post one as well =P

Date: 08/12/09 15:01
Author: zephyr18

Went to Amtrak.com after reading article. It isn't in the reservation system yet.

Date: 08/12/09 18:28
Author: MEKoch

By Kristin Jackson

Seattle Times Travel staff
Amtrak Cascades will start a second daily round-trip train from Seattle to Vancouver, B.C., on Aug. 19th.

The Washington State Department of Transportation announced the start date Wednesday. The long-awaited service will run at least through the 2010 Winter Olympics in February in Vancouver.

Amtrak was ready to begin the second round-trip train about a year ago, but Canada's insistence that the railway cover $1,500 (Canadian) a day in costs for customs staff in Vancouver derailed the plan.

That fee has now been waived, at least for the next seven months, by the Canada Border Services Agency after pressure from train supporters and officials on both sides of the border.

The new train will make it easier for business travelers and vacationers from Western Washington to take quick trips to Vancouver. It will be especially convenient for travelers to B.C. during the Feb. 12-28, 2010, Winter Olympics, since vehicle border crossings will be busy and private vehicles will be restricted in much of downtown Vancouver.

It also will be convenient for travelers from Portland who will be able to get to Vancouver on one train (the new train originates in Portland). Previously there was a lengthy delay and train change in Seattle.

The new service will begin the evening of Aug. 19th with a northbound train from Seattle.

Trains will leave from Seattle for Vancouver at 7.40 a.m. (current train) and 6.50 p.m. (the new train) daily.

Trains will depart Vancouver at 6.40 a.m. (new train) and 5.45 p.m. (current train). The trip takes about four hours one-way.

Date: 08/13/09 01:17

Thanks! Great news!
Ted in WA

Date: 08/13/09 05:05
Author: mundo

Now in Amtrak web site for service Aug 19-March 31.

Date: 08/13/09 08:10
Author: Macster

I didn't see the reservations for the 19th but it does show the 20th. Between 7 hours and 55 minutes and 8 hours and 15 minutes.. ouch.

Driving time is 5 hours and 7 minutes to 6 hours and 10 minutes according to Google Maps

Date: 08/13/09 09:51
Author: sfericsf

gobbl3gook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> News articles a couple weeks ago said it would be
> starting in August. I just called Amtrak and
> spoke with a live person who said she didn't have
> any information as to when it would begin.
>

I love the way the press knows what's going on more than Amtrak does. (rolls eyes)

Date: 08/13/09 11:34

>>Driving time is 5 hours and 7 minutes to 6 hours and 10 minutes according to Google Maps<<

That's only between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.

And hour's wait at the border is par, and there's always some slow traffic somewhere in the 80-mile long Everett-Seattle-Tacoma metro area.

And there's a lot of padding in the Amtrak schedule going from Bellingham to Vancouver, so you might walk out of customs 45 mins before scheduled arrival.

I don't think I can swing the first day, but I'll be on it within the month! (As I've said many times before, I've been waiting for this train since 1996)

Ted in WA

Date: 08/13/09 18:50
Author: Lairport

And remember, on a busy day like a typical Sat. in VAC, Business Class is closest to CDN Immigration Agents.
So it can be well worth the upgrade $ to get thru the line before the Coach Class PAX.
We're talking up to 30 minutes difference.

It will be interesting to see ridership figures on the thru trains to/from Portland.
I wonder if WASHDOT or Amtrak will bother to put out any advertising this week.
Also how long will it take to print a schedule supplement and post it on Amtrak online schedule site.

Date: 08/14/09 10:44
Author: zephyr18

Checked Amtrak.com and it is there. First 716 to go through to Vancouver 8/19, first 713 originating in Vancouver 8/20. 716 schedule adjusted 10 minutes later from Seattle north. 713 five minutes later over whole route.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds