Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Passenger Trains > VIa #1 in Northern Ontario in the Fall

Date: 12/27/09 10:15
VIa #1 in Northern Ontario in the Fall
Author: ontrail

While backing up my photo collection I came across this photo…It is my absolute favourite passenger photo…It was taken on my first digital camera in fall of 2004..
I have also posted this on the Canadian Trains discussion group’s page as well

Date: 12/27/09 13:45
Re: VIa #1 in Northern Ontario in the Fall
Author: andersonb109

A beautiful train ruined by a wrapped locomotive. A couple of years ago my consist had the Spiderman wrapped loco. Not quite as bad as lime green but still pretty awful. Why not use those locos on the corridor where they will be seen by more people rather than the Canadian route which is largely lightly unpopulated. I'm on the train again Tuesday and can't wait.

Date: 12/27/09 15:42
Author: RRmemories

Do you happen to know any history on the passenger cars? Are they still around today? Aaron 21

Date: 12/27/09 17:11
Author: Ray_Murphy

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A beautiful train ruined by a wrapped locomotive.
> A couple of years ago my consist had the Spiderman
> wrapped loco. Not quite as bad as lime green but
> still pretty awful. Why not use those locos on the
> corridor where they will be seen by more people
> rather than the Canadian route which is largely
> lightly unpopulated. I'm on the train again
> Tuesday and can't wait.

The locomotive is wrapped for sure (there have been variations in the Telus scheme over the years), but the base paint color on this locomotive is the green you see.

Ray

Date: 12/27/09 18:04
Author: ghCBNS

RRmemories Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you happen to know any history on the passenger
> cars? Are they still around today? Aaron 21

Yes, all still in service today. Listed here under "HEP". Click on the car type for diagrams and 360 deg. photos

http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/our-fleet

A lot of these cars are currently being rebuilt.....

http://www.viarail.ca/en/pressreleases/1397

http://www.viarail.ca/en/pressreleases/1387

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/09 18:05 by ghCBNS.

Date: 12/27/09 19:42
Author: ontrail

I thought I would add a photo of the rear...Yes all these cars are still in use...I have many photographs of the Canadian...I happen to like the wrapped units and was surprised to see this unit on the Canadian...each our own...however I think it was quite fitting as this was running in the fall...

Date: 12/28/09 03:29
Author: ghCBNS

Some of those F40 schemes can certainly draw attention to the Train and in a positive way! Back in 2001 VIA was running a “Kool-Aid” painted F40 on the Halifax > Sydney “Bras d’Or”. A co-worker's young sons saw it and just had go for a ride on the “Kool-Aid Train”.....So a summer trip was booked on the “Ocean” to Montreal. Well everyone loved the train and they’ve done the train trip several times since! And I’m sure there are kids out there who had their first train ride after seeing VIA's “Spiderman” F40s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0719 seconds