Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Passenger Trains > Question on L.A. area commuter service

Date: 04/12/10 09:47
Question on L.A. area commuter service
Author: 4-4-0LiveSteam

In June we will be visiting my sister in Glendora,
My question is :
what trains do I take from Glendora to Disneyland?
and what trains from Glendora to Universal Studios?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

Date: 04/12/10 10:31
Re: Question on L.A. area commuter service
Author: sactobob

To either destination, you would take a Metrolink San Bernardino line train to Union Station. You could board at either Pomona North or Covina Station, whichever is most conventient to your location in Glendora. Both have park-and-ride lots. To continue to Disneyland, transfer at Union Station to a Metrolink train to Anaheim. To go to Universal Studios, transfer at Union Station to a Red Line subway train.

An alternate way to get to Union Station from Glendora would be to drive to the parking garage at the end of the Gold Line light rail line in Pasadena, at Sierra Madre Villa, next to the I-210 freeway. The Gold Line runs to Union Station much more frequently than the San Bernardino Metrolink line. (If it were me, I would try them both out.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/10 10:56 by sactobob.

Date: 04/12/10 11:08
Author: Mudrock

You can also take Amtrak Los Angeles to Anaheim with all day into the the late evening service.

Chris

Date: 04/12/10 11:25
Author: OCVarnes

Covina has a park and ride structure near the Metrolink station. I believe that it is a pay to park structure. I don't use it so I do not know the rates or method of payment. The parking lot adjacent to the station is a permit required lot except for Saturday and Sunday.

I go to Pomona North when I ride Metrolink to LAUS. During the week parking is iffy. The station lot is small and fills up quickly during the week. There is street parking in the area, but it can be a problem finding a space there.

I don't know about Pomona Downtown parking. Also, there are fewer trains on the Riverside - LAUS line than the San Bernardino - LAUS route.

You might be able to ride into LAUS from Pomona Downtown (the UP Los Angeles Sub.) and return to Pomona North via the Metrolink San Gabriel Sub depending on your time available and day of the week.

Check the Metrolink web site for schedules. There are some changes coming.

OCV

Date: 04/12/10 12:58
Author: BobP

For time saver I would start/stop at the Gold line end.
Short hop down the 210 from Glendora.
Gold line most scenic of LA's light rail transit if you go end to end.

.. and the usual links:

http://www.metro.net/around/

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

Date: 04/12/10 15:22
Author: PasadenaSub

I live in Glendora, and agree that the only rail options are Metrolink or MTA Gold Line to LA Union Station, and then either Amtrak Surfliner or (Metrolink Orange County line) to Anaheim.

The Gold Line is a lot cheaper than a Metrolink roundtrip from Covina to LA, but you have to deal with 210 freeway traffic to get to the Sierra Madre Villa station if you want to leave in the morning. I believe Covina Metrolink parking is about $2 to $3 a day in the structure.

To get to Universal Studios, the MTA Red Line Subway goes to Universal City. I believe the station is within walking distance of the studios.

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/10 15:25 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 04/12/10 17:49
Author: Railrev

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Glendora, and agree that the only rail
> options are Metrolink or MTA Gold Line to LA Union
> Station, and then either Amtrak Surfliner or
> (Metrolink Orange County line) to Anaheim.
>
> The Gold Line is a lot cheaper than a Metrolink
> roundtrip from Covina to LA, but you have to deal
> with 210 freeway traffic to get to the Sierra
> Madre Villa station if you want to leave in the
> morning. I believe Covina Metrolink parking is
> about $2 to $3 a day in the structure.
>
> To get to Universal Studios, the MTA Red Line
> Subway goes to Universal City. I believe the
> station is within walking distance of the
> studios.
>
> Rich

Is parking still free at Sierra Madre Villa station? Gold line takes longer (including 210 commute) than Metrolink, but is more frequent and service is later into the evening.

Date: 04/12/10 22:21
Author: Jaanfo

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To get to Universal Studios, the MTA Red Line
> Subway goes to Universal City. I believe the
> station is within walking distance of the
> studios.
>
> Rich

It's walking distance (about half a mile, all uphill, pretty steep at times), but there is a shuttle across the street from the station which takes you up to the gate.

Date: 04/13/10 17:46
Author: 4-4-0LiveSteam

Thanks for all of the help
It is greatly appreciated

Kevin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds