Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Passenger Trains > Maybe the tunnel can go to Penn Station

Date: 10/02/10 07:00
Maybe the tunnel can go to Penn Station
Author: ts1457

Date: 10/03/10 06:46
Re: Maybe the tunnel can go to Penn Station
Author: Lackawanna484

It will be interesting to see if this gets traction. The option of going to NY Penn rather than a new terminal was considered, but it didn't get a lot of support from Amtrak, or from New York City. The extension of the #7 subway line was a factor in the 'deep' tunnel alternative.

One early proposal was to extend the #7 subway line from Times Square in NY west, all the way to Secaucus and on to the Meadowlands Station. That way, it would pick up midtown riders at Secaucus. It would also allow Bergen commuters a choice of NEC rail to NY Penn or subway to Times Square, etc.

The idea of extending the 7 line went nowhere due to opposition from both sides of the Hudson.

Date: 10/03/10 08:02
Author: ts1457

For what it's worth, here is an editorial expressing the view that ARC is dead:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2010/10/time_for_a_better_plan_for_rai.html

Date: 10/03/10 14:00
Author: stone23

Since I live in South Jersey I admit that I am no expert on North Jersey rail problems.

That said, I have a simple question? Can't they just build a third tunnel parallel to the present rwo tunnels and end up in Penn Station, New York?

Date: 10/03/10 16:02
Author: Lackawanna484

stone23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since I live in South Jersey I admit that I am no
> expert on North Jersey rail problems.
>
> That said, I have a simple question? Can't they
> just build a third tunnel parallel to the present
> rwo tunnels and end up in Penn Station, New York?

Apparently not. Since the early 1900s, NYC has built bulkheads, a water tunnel, and now plans to build an extension of the #7 subway south under 11th avenue. I'm not an engineer, but the reports seem to rule out a third tunnel.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds