Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Passenger Trains > AMTRAK as model for Swiss Federal Railways SBB

Date: 11/24/11 05:05
AMTRAK as model for Swiss Federal Railways SBB
Author: rosenth

In an article in the national newspaper 20Minuten ( http://www.20min.ch/news/dossier/oevau/story/Die-Schweiz-als-Bahn-Entwicklungsland-18845475 ) AMTRAK is mentioned as a model for the Swiss Federal Railways SBB. No, they write *not* about time keeping ;-) but about WiFi-Access in trains. It is true that in Swiss Railways You have no WiFi -access yet.

Isn't it funny to see AMTRAK as a reference for the SBB ?

By the way, I rode most of AMTRAK's LD trains and I always enjoyed the comfort – and with very few exceptions – the quality of the on-board service. The next journey its planned for next year (hopefully some LD trains will still run then despite the cuts in Amtrak's budget ;-(

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/11 05:07 by rosenth.

Date: 11/25/11 05:43
Re: AMTRAK as model for Swiss Federal Railways SBB
Author: DavidP

Funny! I know the first thing I usually think when riding SBB is "why can't this be more like Amtrak?"....not!

Dave

Date: 11/26/11 13:33
Re: AMTRAK as model for Swiss Federal Railways SBB
Author: jbaker

rosenth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but about WiFi-Access in trains. It
> is true that in Swiss Railways You have no WiFi
> -access yet.
>
> Isn't it funny to see AMTRAK as a reference for
> the SBB ?
>

Amtrak does not provide WiFi on its long distance trains with the exception of the Pacific Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight. Amtrak has no plans to provide WiFi on LDT's where its most needed and wanted. They do provide it on their corridor services, like the NEC. Most of the business types using the corridors likely have connectivity through cell networks, i-phone, etc. and don't need it. Go figure.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0284 seconds