Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Passenger Trains > amtrak to chicago from st. Louis, mo

Date: 07/04/12 06:34
amtrak to chicago from st. Louis, mo
Author: schneid

Does anyone know what days in July the amtrak trains run from st. Louis to chicago with no bus substituion for any of the route?

Thanks. Paul

Date: 07/04/12 12:52
Re: amtrak to chicago from st. Louis, mo
Author: cutboy2

Amtrak.com

Date: 07/04/12 14:13
Author: houstonguy2010

Not sure exactly what dates but my son and I are going from CHI-STL on July 24th and they routed us on the Illini to Champaign/Urbana with a connecting thruway bus to STL. No Lincoln service showing for that day when I booked a couple of days ago.

Keith Hunter
FOREST CITY, IA

Date: 07/04/12 15:14
Author: Steve4031

I think after 7/24/12. For sure in August. Do test bookings to find out.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/04/12 20:01
Author: GenePoon

cutboy2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak.com

That's what I was going to say, too. I was thinking, "what's the matter, can't TO members take the time to go
to the source? Why do they have to keep asking questions that are so easily answered at Amtrak.com, in the
"service disruptions" section?"

Because it doesn't say, that's why.

Here's what Amtrak says. Only that there will be disruptions and bustitutions will occur; but not where and not when:

Illinois High-Speed Rail Construction Continues through the Summer 2012

Starting June 16, 2012, the Illinois Department of Transportation (Illinois DOT)
and Union Pacific Railroad will begin the final phase of 2012 upgrades to Illinois
signature Chicago - St. Louis high-speed rail route for future high-speed Amtrak
trains. This is the last scheduled year of large-scale construction that will
result in substitute motorcoach transportation on this corridor.

During construction, chartered motorcoaches and connecting Amtrak train service
will be provided for Lincoln Service (Trains 300-307) and Texas Eagle (Trains 21/321/421 and 22/322/422)
passengers at stations between St. Louis and Chicago. The chartered motorcoaches will not operate
on the same schedules as the Lincoln Service and Texas Eagle. Up-to-date train and motorcoach
schedules are available on Amtrak.com, our free iPhone app and at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

The temporary changes will allow Union Pacific to improve the tracks to enable the Lincoln
Service trains to travel at speeds up to 110 mph (177 kph), an increase from the current
maximum of 79 mph (127 kph). In addition to allowing trains to travel at a higher rate
of speed*, the improvements will provide a more comfortable ride and shorter trip times.

Illinois DOT and Amtrak are planning to preview higher speed trains in September 2012
between Dwight and Pontiac. For information about other exciting improvements that will
be brought to this corridor, visit the Official Illinois High-Speed Rail website,
www.idothsr.org and Facebook page, facebook.com/IllinoisHighSpeedRail or call 1-855-IDOT-HSR
(1-855-436-8477) for questions or comments about the project.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for
any inconvenience you may experience.

* What's this "higher rate of speed" stuff? Just saying "higher speed" saves six letters and two
spaces and doesn't sound like the author is a high school student trying to pad the word count
on a freshman English essay.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds