Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak's Auto Train

Date: 08/07/12 09:57
Amtrak's Auto Train
Author: sandpatch25

What do Amtrak's Auto Train's "autorack" (as you could say) cars look like? And how long does it take to load/unload them from their consists?

Date: 08/07/12 10:18
Re: Amtrak's Auto Train
Author: GenePoon

For photos, go to:

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtRACK.html

It generally takes a couple of hours or so to unload the autos from the train. Vehicles are individually
driven off while passengers wait in a lounge and do not come off the train in order of who got to the
originating terminal earliest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/12 10:19 by GenePoon.

Date: 08/07/12 14:40
Author: RevRandy

On my most recent trips (June NB, July SB) on AutoTrain, with a relatively full consist each way, the cars were unloaded in about 1 hour at each end. And because in each case the train had arrived early I had my car (in the last third of the cars coming off) and was on the road before the advertised train arrival time.

There is absolutely no correlation between loading order and unloading order that I detect. This is the result of the auto carrier section of the train being built at start and disassembled at the end from/into shorter lengths of carriers for loading/unloading which are not consistent on the two ends of the route.

Yes, people can stay inside and listen for their auto number to be called, but this can be a tiring process of having to listen to about 250 numbers being called. Many people choose to stand outside in a designated area where they can listen and watch as the auto and their numbers appear. Infuriating to those trying to leave the terminal in a timely manner are those who are inside and not paying attention, leaving their unloaded vehicles to clutter the pickup area and making it harder for others to get on their way.

For those who do not travel AutoTrain, a word about the numbers. As you check your vehicle in, each vehicle is randomly given a magnetic door sign with a number on it. It does not matter what the number is, and their order means nothing. It is just a way to identify the vehicles at the other end. So, while one set of random numbers are traveling north, another is traveling south -- each to replenish the stockpile of numbers at the appropriate terminus. I have overheard people say "Wow, we got number 35," thinking this would mean something in the unloading process. Other than as the identification of your vehicle, it means nothing.

Date: 08/07/12 16:07

Are Lorton, VA. and Orlando, FL. the only locations where loading/unloading takes place?

Date: 08/07/12 16:26
Author: rbx551985

sandpatch25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are Lorton, VA. and Orlando, FL. the only
> locations where loading/unloading takes place?

Yes, those are the ONLY two places -- the end points of Auto Train's journey, as it's been since the original A.T. began. For many details AND photos of the auto racks in the process of being loaded/unloaded, SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Train

Date: 08/07/12 16:42
Author: gnr999

The process is fine and if you have no patience don't use it. I tell people for the time of your life take the train but if you are inpatient, in a hurry, self-centered, can't stand delays and changes, travel some other way.

Date: 08/07/12 16:49

Is there any liability paperwork that the autos' owners have to fill-out, prior to their transport?

Date: 08/07/12 18:06
Author: Lackawanna484

My parents have used the auto-train for 20 years. The auto loading / unloading is a piece of cake. Crews are wonderful, staff is uniformly helpful.

The passengers, on the other hand, can be difficult.

(on one trip, the train arrived four hours late into Lorton. Amtrak had called in extra people to help with the unloading, cleaning, servicing, etc. Train left on time, with nothing betraying the fast turn. Good job all around.)

Date: 08/07/12 18:10
Author: RevRandy

sandpatch25 Wrote:
> Is there any liability paperwork that the autos'
> owners have to fill-out, prior to their transport?

No. All in the contract of carriage as part of your ticketing. However, each vehicle is video-taped around, above and below to record arrival condition. Also, note the warning to remove loose valuables from the car -- never had any problem -- but the warning is posted.

Also, another note to prospective AutoTrain users: when you arrive at the departure terminal, be prepared to gather the items your need for the train trip (see AMTRAK website for suggestions) in timely fashion. If you are not pre-organized, you may be invited to move out of line to complete this task before your vehicle will be loaded. Also, a delay in your release of your vehicle to the AT loading crew may delay your check-in for your accommodations, which also means a delay to choosing a dinner time. Once you release your vehicle, it will be loaded within seconds, at most about a minute. Thereafter, you will not have access to anything in the vehicle until it is delivered to you at the end of your trip. In others words, plan ahead and don't think an "opppps" will get you a reprieve if you forget something in the car.

Date: 08/08/12 14:01
Author: ProAmtrak

sandpatch25 Wrote:
> Are Lorton, VA. and Orlando, FL. the only
> locations where loading/unloading takes place?

It's Sanford, not Orlando!

Date: 08/08/12 18:35
Author: toledopatch

Here's the transition from passenger cars to autoracks on #53 back in June, crossing the Occoquan River at Woodbridge, VA, shortly after departure from Lorton.

Date: 08/09/12 08:09
Author: rbx551985

toledopatch Wrote:
> Here's the transition from passenger cars to
> autoracks on #53 back in June, crossing the
> Occoquan River at Woodbridge, VA, shortly after
> departure from Lorton.

A couple of months ago I saw the train in Richmond and thought they were NEWLY REPAINTING the auto racks, but no: they're only WASHING them. WOW, but those are nicely washed/cleaned now!

Date: 08/09/12 12:52
Author: hazegray

gnr999 Wrote:
> The process is fine and if you have no patience
> don't use it. I tell people for the time of your
> life take the train but if you are inpatient, in a
> hurry, self-centered, can't stand delays and
> changes, travel some other way.

There is a good anecdote in the recent book by Colin Powell of an incident that happened when he was Secretary of State. He went prowling the building and wound up in the garage talking to the attendants, who were contract employees and mostly immigrants.
Parking was so tight that they had to park cars in lines, and those in the head of the line were in a better position at the end of the day. He asked how position in the line was determined by the attendants who parked the cars. Basically, the answer was that those who came in with a smile and a friendly word and took the time to learn the attendants names got parked at the head of the line, while those who were "impatient and self centered" wound up in the back of the line.

Intuitively I think there is more of this in life than many are aware -- as a teenager, I once worked part time in a gas station garage, and quietly saw to it that those with an attitude toward the help (like me) unknowingly paid for it in time and cash, and I was not alone in this outlook. :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds