Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Passenger Trains > Pullman Service Interiors

Date: 12/17/12 15:56
Pullman Service Interiors
Author: andersonb109

Several have asked for Pullman PV interiors. I hadn't posted to date because they were all replacement cars not owned by Iowa Pacific. But here goes. First is the lounge area (used as diner) of "City of Angels." ex NYC "Laurel Stream"...a sleeper lounge. Second is "Hickory Creek"...ex NYC 20th Century Limited Obs. The third car was "Silver Quail." Interior much like it was in Amtrak service. The hall had been redone sans carpeting on the walls but Amtrak carpeting was still evident in the bedrooms. It was interesting to see "Hickory Creek" having previously been on AOE's "New York"...sister car ex "Sandy Creek." Ths car was completely gutted by then American European Express and re-done with a much more luxurious interior. Sadly it is now again gutted by it's current owner in Williams, AZ, or so I was told. "Hickory Creek" was gutted by Ringling Brothers with all bedrooms removed. All have been put back and everything is as close to the original design and configuration as possible. With the high windows, it really was like riding outside. Too bad we didn't have the view of the Hudson River.

Date: 12/17/12 16:03
Re: Pullman Service Interiors

Here's one more. Other end of "Hickory Creek."

Date: 12/17/12 16:22
Author: Ptolemy

People certainly don't dress like they used to on Pullmans, and the one guy has to be on both a laptop and cell phone! Good grief. Does that mean if you ride this train you have to listen to cell-phone drivel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/12 10:19 by Ptolemy.

Date: 12/17/12 17:13

Compared with the normal attire found on Amtrak, I found everyone to be dressed quite well. But certainly not as back in the day, at least from the ads I've seen.

Date: 12/17/12 17:17
Author: The_Chief_Way

the folks in the first pic seemed to be dressed appropriately

Date: 12/17/12 17:44
Author: coaststarlight99

Fantastic!!! Thank you so much for posting these pictures. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Even though these are replacement cars, it looks wonderful. The lounge isn't packed with people or screaming kids with sticky hands, or marijuana-smelling teens with boom boxes turned up loudly.....this looks absolutely awesome. I MUST take this trip! It looks so incredible.

Date: 12/17/12 18:00
Author: Winnemucca

Yes but they are having coffee (I assume) in Amtacky type containers, not ceramic mug or cups. If I paid that much $ I sure wouldn't want single service containers.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 12/17/12 22:25
Author: ATSF3751

Tastefully done.....with the exception of those curtains in the diner. They would look better on the towel rack in the kitchen.

Date: 12/18/12 00:41
Author: jbaker

Does Iowa Pacific now own the Silver Quail?

Date: 12/18/12 03:19

I am pretty sure it was leased from the owner as were all the other cars in the consist with the possible exception of the baggage dorm "Sunset Harbor."

Date: 12/18/12 07:46
Author: Cumbresfan

Winnemucca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes but they are having coffee (I assume) in
> Amtacky type containers, not ceramic mug or cups.
> If I paid that much $ I sure wouldn't want single
> service containers.

Winnemucca, ATSF3751:

Remember these are replacement cars as the IP cars were undergoing wheel inspection. I'm sure the Pullman cars have real ceramic mugs and the curtains are no doubt appropriate.

Date: 12/18/12 07:53
Author: Cumbresfan

coaststarlight99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fantastic!!! Thank you so much for posting these
> pictures. I had absolutely no idea what to expect.
> Even though these are replacement cars, it looks
> wonderful. The lounge isn't packed with people or
> screaming kids with sticky hands, or
> marijuana-smelling teens with boom boxes turned up
> loudly.....this looks absolutely awesome. I MUST
> take this trip! It looks so incredible.

As an aside, there was a rant (now removed) by a member on another TO thread that says this wonderful service deserves to die because it isn't operated by union personnel!

Date: 12/18/12 19:30
Author: nickrussonfr

OMG if you get the UNION involved it will never start. so many good things are gone because the union rules made the service unprofitable. Dining cars, lounge cars all the rules and costs the union mandates makes them so unprofitable they cancel them.

I used to ride NJ transit in the 80's and there was a great bar car service for breakfast (coffee and danish) and beers and snacks for the evening run. NJ had to cancel it because the union mandated that the railroad pay the employee who took the breakfast car service for a WHOLE days work. the person worked 1.5 hours.

I was on this PULLMAN trip. the service was fantastic like nothing i have received in the travel industry lately. I am sure if an employee gives poor service they will be let go. bravo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds