Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Passenger Trains > LIRR rails are breaking this morning

Date: 01/23/13 06:20
LIRR rails are breaking this morning
Author: joemvcnj

"There are up to 30 minute delays in both directions on the Ronkonkoma and Port Jefferson branches because of broken rails in Carle Place and Cold Spring Harbor, and up to 20 minute delays in both directions on the Babylon Branch because of a broken rail east of Lindenhurst."

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.7684331&lon=-73.52512530000001&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Hicksville%2C%20NY%2C%20USA

Date: 01/23/13 07:03
Re: LIRR rails are breaking this morning
Author: stone23

You left coast members all realize that this is the first time it has ever been cold on Long Island.

Date: 01/23/13 07:06

The coldest in 3 years. LIRR has been all ribbon rail since 1984, and there are many stretches with concrete ties.

Date: 01/23/13 07:54
Author: Out_Of_Service

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The coldest in 3 years. LIRR has been all ribbon
> rail since 1984, and there are many stretches with
> concrete ties.

you can have all brand new x-ray tested rail and new concrete ties ... if the rail isn't adjusted properly to the regional ambient temperature then it might as well be stick rail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/13 20:09 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 01/23/13 10:03
Author: SpeederDriver

Is anyone else old enough to remember steam-hauled trains being stuck in the snow at Manorville?

Date: 01/23/13 11:12

My father's side of the family were from Northport on the Port Jeff Branch.

My uncle used to tell me of steam locos, I suppose G5's, single-handedly with 16 P54's, getting stuck on Cold Spring Hill, and backing up to Syosset to get a running start. Sometimes they would zoom through the curves approaching Syosset at 60MPH to avoid that scenario.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds