Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Passenger Trains > Pullman Dinner on the City

Date: 04/04/13 20:48
Pullman Dinner on the City
Author: SNCSteve

On the back of 59, getting ready for dinner Pullman style!

Many thanks to the Pullman General Manager David Duncan for his expert direction on how many and which plates are used for what!

GO PULLMAN!

Date: 04/04/13 21:00
Re: Pullman Dinner on the City
Author: coaststarlight99

Would you mind explaining what the tipping policy is on-board these trips? I know what it is for Amtrak, but I have no clue how to go about it with a PV. (For example, do you leave cash on the table after each meal? Do you tip after each cocktail served?) Thanks.

Date: 04/04/13 22:33
Author: chakk

Forks are mis-aligned. The one with the shorter tangs is the salad fork, and should be to the left of the entree fork. And if there are multiple spoons (or knives) in the service, the ones that are expected to be used first go on the outside. In other words, you start with the utensils on the outside of the setting and work your way inward toward the center plate.

In addition, your bread plate is always on the LEFT and your glasses are always on the RIGHT.

And easy way to remember this is to hold both of your hands in front of you in the "thumbs up" position with your fingers bent in. Then, look at your hands. The left hand should look like the letter "b" and the right hand like the letter "d".

Date: 04/05/13 03:42
Author: poultrycar

Forks on the left and knives on the right are proper all over the world. However, that is designed for the rest of the world who normally eat with their fork in their left hand and knife in their right the entire meal. The first thing Americans do is to switch them. Clumsy.

"Americans eat so funny," said a German friend (as she was piling peas on the back side of her fork with her knife).

The Pullman Service on the City looks very good. I hope to give it a try.

Date: 04/05/13 04:26
Author: SNCSteve

tipically I have noticed Pullman passengers have been tipping waiter and porters separate, and usually at the conclusion of the trip.

Date: 04/05/13 07:33
Author: kk5ol

poultrycar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Forks on the left and knives on the right are
> proper all over the world.

They're placed in order of use from the outside inward. Dessert spoon at the top of the setting.

RailNet802, owevaaah

Date: 04/05/13 16:56
Author: chakk

poultrycar Wrote:
> Forks on the left and knives on the right are
> proper all over the world. However, that is
> designed for the rest of the world who normally
> eat with their fork in their left hand and knife
> in their right the entire meal. The first thing
> Americans do is to switch them. Clumsy.
>
> "Americans eat so funny," said a German friend (as
> she was piling peas on the back side of her fork
> with her knife).
>
> The Pullman Service on the City looks very good.
> I hope to give it a try.

Not this American. My fork stays in my left hand and my knife in my right hand throughout the meal. Except when I am using a spoon, which goes in my left hand. Being left handed probably has a lot to do with it. I wonder how the left-handed President Obama holds his knife and fork at state dinners?

Date: 04/05/13 21:05
Author: calzephyr48

SNCSteve Wrote:
> tipically I have noticed Pullman passengers have
> been tipping waiter and porters separate, and
> usually at the conclusion of the trip.

On our trips, tips are not expected, but if given, are offered to the Steward, who divides tips equally among the staff. We believe all of our folks contribute equally to the passenger's enjoyment of the trip therefore all should share equally in gratuities. This arrangement has worked well for our service team for many years, and they all will enthusiastically agree with this.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds