Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Passenger Trains > Railroad Related Hotel slideshow

Date: 09/06/14 09:36
Railroad Related Hotel slideshow
Author: RevRandy

Conde Nast has created a short slide show of hotels related to the rails and stations.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-09-04/relive-the-romance-of-train-travel-at-these-railroad-hotels

Enjoy

Date: 09/06/14 13:45
Re: Railroad Related Hotel slideshow
Author: andersonb109

In my opinion, nothing tops the St. Pancaras restoration in London. Along with the new addition, the original Grand Midland Hotel in the head house was completely restored to its original glory. That said, the hotel at Denver Union station looks very cool with the train theme Pullman rooms. I'll definitely give it a try next time I go out to see the Wings beat up on the Avs.

Date: 09/06/14 14:21
Author: korotaj

Is there any mention of Metro Plaza in Los Angeles?

Date: 09/06/14 16:13
Author: Lackawanna484

Nice list, with Indianapolis, Key West, Albuquerque, Nashville among the nominees. La Posada, too.

I never knew that the Hotel Del Coronado had its own private car track. Is that true?

Date: 09/06/14 18:54
Author: GettingShort

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice list, with Indianapolis, Key West,
> Albuquerque, Nashville among the nominees. La
> Posada, too.
>
> I never knew that the Hotel Del Coronado had its
> own private car track. Is that true?

I believe The Del had was connected to the street car line that ran from the ferry landing on Coronado Island. There was no surface connection to San Diego until the construction of the Coronado Bridge. The inclusion of The Del seems a little gratuitous, I suppose the author likes the hotel, I get that, my wife and I spend a week there every August.

Date: 09/07/14 01:18
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

GettingShort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe The Del had was connected to the street
> car line that ran from the ferry landing on
> Coronado Island. There was no surface connection
> to San Diego until the construction of the
> Coronado Bridge.

The SD&AE had a branch that ran from the Chula Vista area up silver strand into Coronado that served the Navy base for many years. A branch off of that over to the Hotel Del could have been quite possible.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds