Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Passenger Trains > Hoosier State service: rolling stock inspection

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 03/17/15 17:15
Hoosier State service: rolling stock inspection
Author: eee

Iowa Pacific has invited FRA, Amtrak, INDOT and the community partners to inspect the locomotives and cars we have selected for Hoosier State service on Thursday March 19. Initially, we have picked two coaches and one full dome from the Iowa Pacific fleet, along with two of the seven ex-NJT GP40FH2's we purchased through Motive Power Resources. After the initial inspection in late January, the FRA requested a pit for the follow-on inspection, so they could get under the cars and locomotives. INDOT requested Amtrak to do the inspection at 14th St. Chicago but Amtrak said their "work load" would make it difficult to schedule an inspection and asked that IPH host the second inspection. So, in order to provide a pit on the Chicago Terminal Railroad, it was necessary to dig one and fit it out, which we did over the past few weeks, and FRA inspected the pit yesterday. The IPH team is making a number of improvements to the rolling stock, and we are also doing our best to make sure the rolling stock is compliant with all the relevant regulations.

The first photo is the new pit, which our Chief Engineer Steve Hill engineered, and was built by a couple of contractors. Second is the train set with a loco on each end, and the three cars. Third is an interior of one of the coaches with mechanical staff hard at work. Jody Moore is leading the prep work on the cars, and tracking compliance with the myriad of regulations. With the extension of the changeover date to May 1 due to INDOT-FRA discussions about "who is the railroad?" we will have some time for pre-service testing and for making any modifications or corrections requested by FRA or Amtrak.

I had hoped to have the locos painted prior to the start of service, and we have a third loco enroute to the paint shop, but we will get them painted over the next few months one at a time.

Date: 03/17/15 17:37
Re: Hoosier State service: rolling stock inspection
Author: trkspd

Good luck with your new service Ed.

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

Date: 03/17/15 17:38
Author: joemvcnj

Of course Amtrak could not do it due to "work load" (anything at all to gum up the works).

Posted from Android

Date: 03/17/15 17:40
Author: CPR_4000

I thought the Hoosier State was used to ferry AMTK equipment to and from Beech Grove. Will that continue?

Date: 03/17/15 17:48
Author: P

If Amtrak stops running the service, how will ticketing work? If I want to travel Indy to Essex, MT would I have to make separate reservations with two entities?

Date: 03/17/15 18:01
Author: CP4743

Thanks for the update. Glad to see things moving forward again.

John

Date: 03/17/15 18:03
Author: santafedan

If there is a dome, I will definitely ride more than once.

Date: 03/17/15 18:04
Author: ProfessorDavid

I guess the public is not the same as community partners? Is it possible for the public to come? You don't say where they are bing displayed, but thanks for the pictures and good luck.

Date: 03/17/15 18:06

Amtrak will sell the tickets, on their website, no change..

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Amtrak stops running the service, how will
> ticketing work? If I want to travel Indy to
> Essex, MT would I have to make separate
> reservations with two entities?

Date: 03/17/15 18:25
Author: andersonb109

Looks like a far better experience will be provided than the equipment that is currently used. Now we need something similar on regularly scheduled long distance trains. Not to the level of Pullman service, but something better than what we have now. Included should be a dining car that looks like an actual restaurant, not a MacDonald's, consistent level of service, and a separate lounge (preferable a dome) for first class passengers.

Date: 03/17/15 19:05
Author: Jimbo

Ed,

Will the train operate in regular service with a locomotive on each end?

Date: 03/17/15 19:11

Most of the time, yes.

Jimbo Wrote:
> Ed,
>
> Will the train operate in regular service with a
> locomotive on each end?

Date: 03/17/15 19:33
Author: WrongMain

Sorry if the answer to this has been posted before, but what colors and scheme will the power be painted in?

Date: 03/17/15 19:40
Author: 1976

WrongMain Wrote:
> Sorry if the answer to this has been posted
> before, but what colors and scheme will the power
> be painted in?

It would be nice to see something that represents Indiana. Not a name about Iowa and colors from Illinois.

Date: 03/18/15 00:22
Author: The_Chief_Way

Why would you expect anything but Iowa Central's colors? Amtrak does not provide any specially painted equipment for this train.

Date: 03/18/15 01:06
Author: NGotwalt

Should paint it all in a nice Monon black and gold, then again I'm biased since I'm a Boilermaker.
Cheers,
Nick

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/18/15 02:22
Author: co614

Special thanks to Ed Ellis and his team at IPH for their diplomacy, patience and especially their investment ( both in human and capital terms) in really decent passenger equipment that can properly represent the upside of travel by train.

Let's all hope that this new "experiment" is a huge success and leads to bigger and better things for both IPH and passenger rail in general.

Ross Rowland

Date: 03/18/15 02:49
Author: cashfare

Will the seats all face each other as in the photo?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/18/15 02:49
Author: 1976

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> Why would you expect anything but Iowa Central's
> colors? Amtrak does not provide any specially
> painted equipment for this train.

I've heard this compared to the North Carolina model by a lot of people, including INDOT people. While there may be a difference regarding who owns the trains, NC does have a state paint scheme.

Amtrak uses cars and locomotives from a system-wide fleet for the Hoosier State, while NC and soon to be IN will be using dedicated equipment. Little bit of a difference there. It seems like a smaller company running a dedicated service would be willing to pay tribute to the area it is serving. A little home-grown PR probably wouldn't hurt.

And a frank personal opinion, the IC scheme used by Iowa *Pacific* (not Central) isn't the best looking scheme I've ever seen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/15 03:03 by 1976.

Date: 03/18/15 03:16
Author: EDog535

1976 Wrote:
> The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why would you expect anything but Iowa
> Central's
> > colors? Amtrak does not provide any specially
> > painted equipment for this train.
>
> I've heard this compared to the North Carolina
> model by a lot of people, including INDOT people.
> While there may be a difference regarding who owns
> the trains, NC does have a state paint scheme.
>
> Amtrak uses cars and locomotives from a
> system-wide fleet for the Hoosier State, while NC
> and soon to be IN will be using dedicated
> equipment. Little bit of a difference there. It
> seems like a smaller company running a dedicated
> service would be willing to pay tribute to the
> area it is serving. A little home-grown PR
> probably wouldn't hurt.
>
> And a frank personal opinion, the IC scheme used
> by Iowa *Pacific* (not Central) isn't the best
> looking scheme I've ever seen.

1976, "You" should be happy the train is still running. IPH has made a significant investment in dollars and man hours getting this project up and running, and it has been no easy task. You should be cheering and supporting them on, not being critical of paint colors on the equipment. The painting and colors of the equipment will be addressed with time. When you have enough capitol and money to own a train then you can paint it as you wish.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/15 03:18 by EDog535.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.08 seconds