Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak #364 - The Blue Water

Date: 06/13/15 15:14
Amtrak #364 - The Blue Water
Author: Ron

Here's a collection of Amtrak #364, The Blue Water, here in Michigan, right around Battle Creek, Michigan. These are from April and May, on seven different days.

I would much prefer to video trains that are moving really fast, but they're not always doing maximum speed.

Ron

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/13/15 17:10
Re: Amtrak #364 - The Blue Water
Author: Auburn_Ed

Nice video.  When shooting video though, what can be done to reduce or eliminate moire?  Both the bricks on the building and fluting on the cars bring it out.  Can you always control video (f stop, shutterspeed) cameras as you can DSLR's?

Ed

Date: 06/13/15 18:56
Re: Amtrak #364 - The Blue Water
Author: Tominde

Trains look good, and nice images, BUT....the bells were a huge turn off.  I could not finish the last sequence.     I know you want to get some horns, but perhaps find a way to get a little further from the crossing.  Please do some more and try again. 

Date: 06/13/15 22:05
Re: Eliminate "moire"

Auburn_Ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  When shooting video though, what can be done to reduce or eliminate moire?  Both the bricks on the building and fluting on the cars bring it out.
>  Can you always control video (f> stop, shutterspeed) cameras as you can DSLR's?
>
> Ed

Ed, Thanks. I never knew what that phenomenon was called. I've seen it, of course, but didn't know how to prevent it. I use a Nikon S9400 camera. it's a decent little camera, but nothing special. After reading your post I did a quick search through the instruction manual for moire....it's not even mentioned. I did find some youtube videos that explained how to reduce, but I think they're primarily for more expensive cameras.

But, Thanks again.....  I'll do some more looking.

Ron

Date: 06/13/15 22:11
Re: Bells are a turn off

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trains look good, and nice images, BUT....the bells were a huge turn off.  I could not finish the last sequence.     I know you want to get
> some horns, but perhaps find a way to get a little further from the crossing.
> Please do some more and try again. 

Tominde, Thanks....  I know exactly what you mean, but it's pretty difficult to get near the tracks without doing it at a crossing, where there are bells.

I've never tried to edit a video to reduce the volume, but maybe I can try that.

I'll work on trying to reduce the noise from the bells.

I know some of my videos that are of CN Freight Trains I can get to a couple locations that are far enough from the crossings so you aren't overwhelmed with the noise.

Ron

Date: 06/14/15 04:30
Re: Bells are a turn off
Author: jkh2cpu

Crossing bells and video are a problem... Heh! I never noticed the
bells until I started doing video. I try to avoid crossings if I can,
but sometimes there's no other way. As for that Moire pattern...
That's an artifact of our sensors that becomes apparent when photo-
graphing certain subjects... brick walls do a nice job of bringing
it out.

Keep up the good work, Ron.

John.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds