Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Passenger Trains > CTA in Chicago advice sought

Date: 03/17/17 06:50
CTA in Chicago advice sought
Author: tihess

In two weeks, my wife and son will be coming into Chicago to catch a flight at Ohare. They will be riding the South Shore from Indiana, and I understand they need to connect to the Blue Line to reach Ohare. They'll have luggage and not much experience in Chicago, so I'm asking for the easiest route for them to reach the Blue Line.
They can ride the Shore into Millenium, or hop off at an earlier stop like Van Buren. I know there are some experienced Chicagoans on here, so any help or advice to steer them in the right direction would be appreciated. Thx

Date: 03/17/17 06:59
Re: CTA in Chicago advice sought
Author: nd76alum

My son  who used to take the South Shore in from  ND said it is best to go to Millennium station and walk to the Washington stop on the blue line.   Hope this helps

Date: 03/17/17 07:16
Author: RevRandy

nd76alum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My son  who used to take the South Shore in from
>  ND said it is best to go to Millennium station
> and walk to the Washington stop on the blue line.
>   Hope this helps

That sounds good to me -- they would be walking West -- after coming out of the Millenium Station, they would walk south on Michigan Avenue and then turn right onto Washington Street (this means walking beside the massive Chicago Cultural Center [the old Library]) On Washington they would walk under the EL at Wabash, cross State Street at grade, and then the Blue Line Washington Station will be at the next intersection with Dearborn. The entrance to the Blue Line will be ay the Northwest corner of the intersection of Washington and Dearborn.  

The area they will be walking in is an active one (Washington carries a major set of downtown bus routes and there is much foot traffic as well).  

Not much more to it than that!

Date: 03/17/17 07:16
Author: robj

Yes, Millennium for sure. Blue line is used by people with luggage but really not easy setup for that and at rush can be really crowded. Should be pretty able to handle luggage.Also without Ventra card people tend to be a little challenge with the fare vending.
Bob

Posted from Android

Date: 03/17/17 07:54
Author: mkt1992

Have them stay below ground using the Pedway all the way to its end in the State of Illinois Building.  The Blue Line entrance at Clark and Lake Streets is in that building.  There is an elevator at that station which makes it easier with luggage. The Blue Line Washington station is the first station they will encounter right after they pass throught the block 37 building basement area.  It does NOT have an elevator.  They will have to carry their luggage down a stair case if they get on the train at that station..  That's why I recommend they continue on past the Washington station and go to the Clark and Lake Station.

Michael Tyl

Date: 03/17/17 10:40
Author: Buckybadger2010

Why schlep your luggage all over downtown Chicago when there is a bus directly from South Bend to Ohare? It arrives at the Ohare bus terminal very near the Blue Line.  It is probably going to cost you a little more, but, you won't have to drag your luggage and you will be a lot more rested when you do get to the airport. That is unless you are bound and determined to ride the SS as an "experience".

Another option, is to drive to a hotel near Ohare and use the park n Fly option that a lot of hotels offer. Stay one night. Park free from 15 days to a month. 

Date: 03/17/17 14:51
Author: tihess

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated

Date: 03/18/17 08:06
Author: DavidJustinLynch

Why in heaven's name would they want to go to an airport in the first place? They should go to Union Station and take the train wherever they are going. We'd have a better world if people would take the time to relax and enjoy the ride instead of being in a hurry to get places.

Date: 03/18/17 08:58
Author: TennesseeTraveler

David, unfortunately Amtrak does not go to everywhere including my town, Nashville, TN.  That's why I have to fly to get to a city Amtrak serves to ride the train. 

Date: 03/18/17 09:02
Author: Milw_E70

DavidJustinLynch Wrote:
> Why in heaven's name would they want to go to an
> airport in the first place? They should go to
> Union Station and take the train wherever they are
> going. We'd have a better world if people would
> take the time to relax and enjoy the ride instead
> of being in a hurry to get places.

Considering the average American only gets 10-16 days of vacation a year, they really don't like wasting most of it just getting to and from the place they're going...

Date: 03/18/17 12:12
Author: Lackawanna484

DavidJustinLynch Wrote:
> Why in heaven's name would they want to go to an
> airport in the first place? They should go to
> Union Station and take the train wherever they are
> going. We'd have a better world if people would
> take the time to relax and enjoy the ride instead
> of being in a hurry to get places.

They should WALK, I tell ya'.  Walk with the two feet God gave them!

I'm sure people felt the same way when the Stourbridge Lion, the B&O's John Henry, etc disrupted the tranquility of the countryside with their infernal roar.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds